American ipa extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow99

Reaction score
Am making a extract American ipa. 5 gallon batch, I accidentally put 6 gallons of water in it. The brix is at 9 and sg is at 1.036. Is the batch going to be ok? Am afraid that I will not reach the ABV is supposed to be at 5.6 after the 2nd ferment. I just brewed it 1-23-2020. Hops are magnum 1oz, Columbus 2oz and African queen 2oz and the begin of 2nd ferment add African queen 2oz dried. Thank u

The beer will be a little light in flavor and in ABV but it will be okay though probably not impressive. But, you never know, you may like it. You won't reach the desired ABV.
On bottling day, substitute beer for water when boiling the priming sugar. This will be a small step toward correction of the minor error.
Note: Skip the secondary. Leave your beer for two or three weeks in the primary (original container) fermenter. Take a gravity reading two days apart (after the beer has been sitting two or three weeks). Make certain the readings are the same. If they're the same at that point, you're good to bottle.
If you like, report back to let us know how your beer turned out.

I'm reluctant, since you're probably new to brewing, to mention this but you could, if it's only been a day or two, add about 8oz of table sugar (boiled in a cup of beer and cooled) to the fermenter. This will hike the ABV a bit and close the gap.
Just make sure that anything that touches the beer has been rinsed with Starsan.

The beer will be a little light in flavor and in ABV but it will be okay though probably not impressive. But, you never know, you may like it. You won't reach the desired ABV.
On bottling day, substitute beer for water when boiling the priming sugar. This will be a small step toward correction of the minor error.
Note: Skip the secondary. Leave your beer for two or three weeks in the primary (original container) fermenter. Take a gravity reading two days apart (after the beer has been sitting two or three weeks). Make certain the readings are the same. If they're the same at that point, you're good to bottle.
If you like, report back to let us know how your beer turned out.

I'm reluctant, since you're probably new to brewing, to mention this but you could, if it's only been a day or two, add about 8oz of table sugar (boiled in a cup of beer and cooled) to the fermenter. This will hike the ABV a bit and close the gap.
Just make sure that anything that touches the beer has been rinsed with Starsan.
I brewed it 4 hours ago. Thank u

I suspect your OG reading is wrong, otherwise your original beer would have only had an OG of 1.043, and potential for only 4.5% abv.

You will still make beer if you leave it alone, but only get 4.7% abv.

I would probably have added 1.5 lbs of extract to get the abv up and keep the malt flavor. You can still add extract if you wanted to do that.

Back