American Amber Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblack138

Reaction score
Hello! Quick ingredient question for anyone who can help

I've got some 60L & Special B leftover from some previous brewing & would like to make an Amber next. Any ideas on how much of each I should use? I'm not proficient at recipe building & haven't taken the time, or money, to purchase a brewing program. Preferably a 3 gal batch, but can do 5 gal.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

There are free calculators, but they won't tell you what will taste right.
The grain sources and books will have suggestions like: good for up to 10%.
I would be comfortable putting a pound of 60L in an amber. Special B has a unique flavor and should be used sparingly. Another thing I do is look at published recipes and sort of average them. Check the recipe section of this forum.
Good luck.

Thanks for the replies! I'm still searching to average things out. I didn't expect them to be too much of the grain bill, but I figured an amber would be a good way to use some of the up.

I think Special B is a little too dark for an amber, in my opinion. Unless you like the dark fruit, raisy, figgy kind of flavors. I only use it in imperial stouts and Belgians.

The famous Jamil Evil Twin recipe uses 1/2lb crystal 120L, very similar to Special B.

6oz will contribute colour and subtle flavour.

My Amber uses uses (for 10 gal)
14# pale malt
2 # crystal 60
2 # Munich
6oz chocolate 350L

A pound of 60L for 5 gal is fine, but maybe just 4oz of the SpecialB

I appreciate everybody's input. I'm not dedicated to the Special B, but I had some leftover & was just wanting to use it up. Thank you all for helping out!

Back