Ambitious new brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcampb94

Reaction score
I have an oatmeal stout that is at 10 days I am going to start taking daily readings And bottle soon. I have an apricot blonde (local brew kit) that I moved to secondary after a week. I also have a American wheat that I a moving to experiment tomorrow. I want to attempt a creation similar to Blue Moon's vintage series with grapes. What do I use and what am I replacing? Also what is a good base?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Congratulations on your new obsession!
You CAN take daily readings, but remember that every time you take a sample, you are increasing the (slight) risk of contamination. Plus, you are using up that much of ypour precious nectar of the gods. So, I would counsel to skip a couple days between readings. And, when you have stable SGs a couple days apart, your primary fermentation might be over, but the yeast are not finished with their work. During the initial fermentation phase they produce byproducts that can cause some undesirable off-flavors. They will clean those up, if you let them. So, let the beer sit a couple days- week after you think it's finished. Trust me- you'll be happy you did.
In the recipe section of this forum there is a looooong thread on Blue Moon clone started by Wayne. Wayne helped design that recipe back in the day. Find it, and spend some time looking at it. The basic recipe is wonderful. I'm not sure if they talk about variations, but I'd bet they do. Good luck!

Back