Ambient Ferm temp for NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotoGP1000

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Curious as to what is everyone’s ambient ferm temp for NEIPAs. My basement is around 65 degrees but I know fermentation can kick the internal temps up.
wondering if it could be lending to the “booziness” of my brews

TIA

65-66F is perfect for most yeasts suitable for this style, for example, WY1318 (London III).

But active fermentation generates heat, more so the warmer and more active it is. So you must keep an eye on the temps not rising past 66-67F. Use a water filled tote or cooler or so as cooling jacket/heat sink, to draw off the extra heat. Adding 1-4 frozen water bottles a day (or twice a day) to the "water jacket" may keep temps just right.

I often ferment beer like that in my lower level bathroom, during the cooler seasons, as temps are then 65-66F there.

When fermentation slows down you can probably leave it at ambient 65-66F, or ramp up slowly with an aquarium heater in the water jacket to encourage her to finish out quicker. Or wrap a temp controlled heating pad around the fermenter, taken out of the water jacket of course. ;)

Booziness (and off flavors) can have very much to do with higher ferm temps. Best, cleanest results are to ferment at the lower end of a yeast's range, not at the higher end.

65-66F is perfect for most yeasts suitable for this style, for example, WY1318 (London III).

But active fermentation generates heat, more so the warmer and more active it is. So you must keep an eye on the temps not rising past 66-67F. Use a water filled tote or cooler or so as cooling jacket/heat sink, to draw off the extra heat. Adding 1-4 frozen water bottles a day (or twice a day) to the "water jacket" may keep temps just right.

I often ferment beer like that in my lower level bathroom, during the cooler seasons, as temps are then 65-66F there.

When fermentation slows down you can probably leave it at ambient 65-66F, or ramp up slowly with an aquarium heater in the water jacket to encourage her to finish out quicker. Or wrap a temp controlled heating pad around the fermenter, taken out of the water jacket of course. ;)

Booziness (and off flavors) can have very much to do with higher ferm temps. Best, cleanest results are to ferment at the lower end of a yeast's range, not at the higher end.
Thank you. Yes I keep getting a booziness that is layering the “juice”. This all makes sense. I have speidal fermenter so it’s a bit large for my beer fridge. The jacket might be the key.
I have a feeling even though my basement temps are 64-67, my wort is firing quite high on the temp side

Thank you. Yes I keep getting a booziness that is layering the “juice”. This all makes sense. I have speidal fermenter so it’s a bit large for my beer fridge. The jacket might be the key.
I have a feeling even though my basement temps are 64-67, my wort is firing quite high on the temp side
For a water jacket I use a large Igloo beverage cooler in which I can place 2 brew buckets side by side, the lid remains open. I fill it with water so the buckets just don't get loose from the bottom (starting to float), about half way up the buckets, but depends on how full they are, of course. And the gravity of the beer they contain. ;)

That whole system is covered with a thick sleeping bag to keep the cold in, and works perfectly.

A large storage tote may fit the ticket for your Speidel(s). Or a plugged up basement utility sink.

Latest posts

Back