Amber Lager stalled out - AE or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonecitybrewco

Reaction score
Hey all,

Brewed an all grain amber lager (9 lbs base malt, 4 lbs adjuncts, 3.5 of non base malt, OG 1.050, 18 IBU) last Saturday (+9 days now) and the fermentation has finished. Fermented with 34/70 at 59 and after 70% of target attenuation, warmed up to 68. So far, it has been sitting at 1.015 (70% apparent attenuation) for 3 days. No discernable off smells or flavours. It actually tastes really good other than a bit sweet. I have re-suspended the yeast as well to try and get it to attenuate further, but to no avail. I know this is only technically 3% below 34/70's target AA%, but I feel like it still tastes a bit sweet (hard to say without carbonation for sure.)

All of that being said, I know this is due to inadequate oxygen provided to the yeast, so that being out of the way, should I just add some amylase enzyme to get it to ferment out, or will I lose all of that designed caramel/malt sweetness and character as well? Or, should I just bottle with like 2.6 or 2.7 and hope that helps with the sweetness?

Anyone have experience with dropping FG with AE? Just curious to hear some thoughts and opinions (other than the obvious "adequate oxygen").

Thanks so much!

The one thing I have heard about Amylase Enzyme is that you have little to no control on how much further it might lower the gravity. At 1.015, my guess is that all the fermentable sugars have been used up. What was your mash temperature? Accurate thermometer?

I would just give it another week or two then decide. I have never even checked gravity in less than 14 days. I figure most are done at 5-10 days but give them a little extra time to get clear.

Thanks muchly! It is most definitely done what it is going to do. Mash temp of 149 so I expected a lower FG, but with a higher percentage of crystal malts in the bill, I expected some residual. I note that Vienna lagers are generally in the 1.010 to 1.014 range, so 1.015 is not far off, just was hoping for that extra 3% attenuation. Very accurate thermometer. Gravity has now been same at 68F for 4 consecutive days.

Latest posts

Back