Amber ale - racking to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockgardenlove

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm brewing an amber ale right now. It's on its fifth day.
I was wondering if racking it to a secondary might be a good idea. I'm trying to achieve clarity and less yeast sediment.
Is this as simple as siphoning out the beer into a second container? I've read that a good time for this is after the krausen sinks. This hasn't happened to me yet; how long does this usually take?

Thanks!

Most of us no longer use secondaries as now days prolonged contact with the yeast is considered beneficial as it gives the yeast a chance to clean up byproducts and off flavors.

Generally the best way to get a clear brew is to leave the beer on the yeast for three to four weeks and then use good siphoning techniques to get as little yeast Cale in your bottling bucket and bottles as possible. Then it helps to properly condition the beer for three to four weeks at room temp before refrigerating for another week or so to settle the yeast to the bottom.

Proper pouring technique is a good thing as well. Also look at fining agents such as Irish moss in the boil which helps somewhat.

P.s.... The krausen usually falls out in a week or so but shouldn't be used as an indicator that your beer is ready.

Interesting, didn't know that secondaries were out of style. Sounds like this isn't the way forward then.

+1 longer primary with no secondary. The more you read on HBT the more cool little tips like this you'll find to improve the brewing process. I began many years ago but it has really been this forum that has made all the difference in the world.

B

Many good beers are still made with secondary fermenters and it is still necessary in some beers such as when adding fruit after the fermentation and such and when you have something that will age in the fermenter for months. Another plus to not racking to a secondary is less opportunity for an infection to get ahold of it. There is a lot to learn and a lot to consider so keep reading! :)

Back