Amazing Attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I just finished bottling my annual barleywine that was brewed in late December. I was shooting from a slightly lower gravity from the previous years, which started at about 1.113 and was almost 12%. It was great, but some of the judging comments about it said there was a little bit of residual sweetness still there.

This year's recipe was changed a little and the OG was only 1.087. I mashed low at 148, kept the crystal grains to a minimum and pitched on a yeast cake from a pale ale. At the secondary the gravity was at 1.016 and about 81% attenuation, but at bottling it had dropped another 4 points giving me a final gravity of 1.012, an ABV of 9.9% and an attenuation of almost 85% without adding any sugar to the recipe. The bitterness and alcohol is a bit harsh now, but with some age this should be one fantastic barleywine. If you want the recipe, check out the 2007 Old Helicon in my sig.

When I read the final gravity, I thought my hydrometer might be screwed up, so I calibrated it, and it was dead on.

Back