Amarillo & Tomahawk Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get Amarillo or Tomahawk whole hops?

I can find them in pellets, and would like to have them in whole if possible or maybe even plugs. Anyone know of a supplier. All the usual ones I know of dont carry them.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I was on a similar quest recently.

Northern Brewer has whole Amarollo last I checked. Freshops is out and hoptech never has carried them.

Tomahawk is the trademarked name for...Columbus! The best bittering hop there is. You can get them from freshops or hoptech. When I ordered my Amarillo from Northern Brewer, they only had Columbus pellets, whichh is why I used pellets in my Rye (never again).

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were making the Hop Rod clone ;) Cheers! :D

Janx said:
Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I was on a similar quest recently.

Northern Brewer has whole Amarollo last I checked. Freshops is out and hoptech never has carried them.

Tomahawk is the trademarked name for...Columbus! The best bittering hop there is. You can get them from freshops or hoptech. When I ordered my Amarillo from Northern Brewer, they only had Columbus pellets, whichh is why I used pellets in my Rye (never again).

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were making the Hop Rod clone ;) Cheers! :D

You would be 100% correct my friend! I want to make that Hop Rod recipe you all graciously helped me find!!!!

Thanks for the info on Tomahawk being a trade name for Columbus! That will make it a lot easier. I damn sure dont want pellets for this recipe (or any others if possible)!

Thanks Janx!!!

That's a pretty good recipe. I just posted an update to the thread about my version. Short version: dang is it good! I think you'll be glad you made this one. I just made my second batch and changed nothing from my version except I used sucrose instead of invert sugar to see if I can taste any difference. :)

Are Columbus Hops more spicy, floral, or citrusy? I have strayed away from using a lot of hops because I didn't care for the spicy or floral aromas of a lot or my earlier recipes. They were good in small doses, but some were too overwhelming. Then......I tried a recipe that called for Cascade hops and discovered how great those types taste and smell. So, also, besides Cascade, are there any other varieties that are citrusy like that?

Centennial, Amarillo are the kind of thing you're looking for with more alpha.

Columbus is pretty much a bittering hop. It's a sledgehammer of a hop and a little goes a long way. Most of these super-high alpha acid hops lack the more aromatic compunds that make a good finishing hop like Cascade.

I find the spicy thing more in the German hops like Hallertau and Saaz.

Okay, got all three, Amarillo, Centennial and Columbus, all whole...on the way!

Once they get here, the Hop Rod will begin!

I received my Columbus and Centennial whole hops today. Man they smeel great. And the Columbus definately has the aroma of Hop Rod Rye for sure.

Ordered them from Keystone Home Brew Suppy, and received them very quickly. Very pleased.

Woohoo! There's nothing like a fresh stinky green bag of...hops...

;)

That beer is like a hop sledgehammer. We're going to be kegging it this weekend and probably next weekend have a side by side tasting with the real thing. I honestly don't care if I make a real "clone", but I just wanted a huge hoppy beer like that one. Should be fun! :D

Back