Amarillo/MO Hopburst IPA SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelorax121

Reaction score
I just received another pound of Amarillo, and I still have about a half pound from my last order, so its time to use them up. I decided to go simple and sweet with it and do a SMaSH brewed to IPA specifications. I liked the lightness that the sole base grain gave to my Cascade/Marris Otter APA, so I think this has potential.

I was thinking about mashing slightly higher for this batch than most of my IPAs (around 154) to give it some more body to make up for the lack of crystal, does this sound high enough to leave enough residual sugars to balance the bitterness? I was also going to toast a pound of the grain bill to give it a little more of a complex flavor profile, does this sound like a reasonable amount in a 14 lb grain bill? I also left out a flameout hop addition because I have found more aroma benefit from dryhopping, so I was going to reserve the leftovers for that, but I would appreciate any thoughts on which would be better. The final adjustment I made was to up the batch size by half a gallon to compensate for the volume of hops (although I am using pellets, so it shouldn't be quite as bad as the cones). These were just my initial thoughts, so anyone has any advice on how to make this beer even more badass, let em rip!

Amarillo SMaSH
6 Gal
OG @ 70%: 1.062
IBU: 60

13 lb Marris Otter
1 lb Marris Otter (toasted for 10-15 mins at 350)

3 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 20
2 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 15
2 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 10
1 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 5
1-2 Oz Amarillo 7% @ Dry Hop

There's only so much you can do with a single malt single hop recipe. Some would say that's not a smash because your toasting the base malt. It should be good, I love amarillo.

I think over all you're looking at a great recipe. I would suggest moving some of your hop additions to 60 min. I've got an APA recipe I'm still tweaking around with, and one of the trials I made had a lot of late additions and ended up being just too much of a flavor bomb and not enough bitter to balance. It was just 96% 2-row, 4% crystal 40, and 85% of my IBUs coming in late addition. I won't do that again.

That sounds good to me. A small 60 min addition might help to free up some dry hops as well, and I guess half a pound of hops in 20 mins could get dangerous :)

Right then, I am toasting the grains as I type, getting ready to brew this bad boy up tomorrow afternoon. Here is the finalized recipe:

Amarillo SMaSH
6 Gal
IBU: 67.1

13 lb Marris Otter

1 Oz Amarillo 7% FWH
.5 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 60
1 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 20
1 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 15
1 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 10
1 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 5
2 Oz Amarillo 7% @ Dry Hop

Please give me any more feedback if you got it, I'm looking forward to this bad boy :)

Right then, I am toasting the grains as I type, getting ready to brew this bad boy up tomorrow afternoon. Here is the finalized recipe:

Amarillo SMaSH
6 Gal
IBU: 67.1

13 lb Marris Otter

1 Oz Amarillo 7% FWH
.5 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 60
1 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 20
1 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 15
1 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 10
1 Oz Amarillo 7% @ 5
2 Oz Amarillo 7% @ Dry Hop

Please give me any more feedback if you got it, I'm looking forward to this bad boy :)

Any updates on this bad boy?? I just got 8oz of Amarillo and this sounds like something I'd love to brew!! the only difference is that I only have American 2 row malt.

Thanks!

Back