Amarillo Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amalheiros

Reaction score
Getting ready to bottle my first batch of IPA homebrew, Several friends of mine who have never homebrewed insist on me using Amarillo Hops for my dryhopping.
Is this a good idea and what does it do for an IPA?

Dryhopping helps to increase the hop aroma in your beer. I have dry hopped with amarillo in my pale ale and they are a nice flavor/aroma hop. They have a strong citrus component, but unlike cascade they lean more toward orange than grapefruit

Amarillo is a sport of Cascade and has many similar properties. If you like Left Coast citrusy IPAs, hit it.

Amarillo has been in just about every pale ale I';ve made since I first tasted it. Dry hop or boiled as a late addition, it's awesome.

Its your beer! Dry hop it with oregano if you want.

I have used Amarillo, mmmm. Nugget, mmmm. Cascade, mmmmm. It is your beer! Friends pay for beer = friends making decision.

If your friends have never brewed before, why are they so partial to Amarillo?

Dry hopping with Amarillo is just fine. Dry hopping adds an additional burst of hop aroma and flavor to your brew. This is a characteristic of an IPA, especially an American IPA. There are various websites and books that detail the different flavor and aroma profiles of the different strains of hops. Do some reading up, and see what you think you might like.

"I read on the internet that Cascade hops taste like grapefruit!"

Amarillo may be my favorite hop (in fact my last brew was an all Amarillo IPA!). I tend to like my IPAs on the citrusy/floral end of the spectrum over the earthy/spicy kind and Amarillo hops are hard to beat for that task!

Dryhopping helps to increase the hop aroma in your beer. I have dry hopped with amarillo in my pale ale and they are a nice flavor/aroma hop. They have a strong citrus component, but unlike cascade they lean more toward orange than grapefruit

This was exactly my experience with amarillo in my IPA. I really liked the very subtle citrusy tangerine component they added.

your probably going to have trial and error in the ipa ring.i would have to make 20 ipa's to figure out wich hop i like best. I just pick the craft brew ipa's hops that are my favorite and try those hops.Chinook,centeniall,warrior,and simcoe are all on my hit-list.

I brewed an amber the other day that I "hopbursted" with Amarillo and Citra, roughly 2:1 respectively. The cooled wort smelled like oranges. I'll dry hop it, too, again 2 parts Amarillo to 1 part Citra, but Amarillo have never let me down. Classic American citrusy hop.

Drinking a Mojo IPA (Boulder Beer) clone right now that has Amarillo for all late additions and DH. It's a great hop for American IPA's. Like others mentioned it has an distinctive tangerine aroma. Have some citra too, so may try this Citra/Amarillo combo.

Drinking a Mojo IPA (Boulder Beer) clone right now that has Amarillo for all late additions and DH. It's a great hop for American IPA's. Like others mentioned it has an distinctive tangerine aroma. Have some citra too, so may try this Citra/Amarillo combo.

I haven't given it a taste yet, but I think others have done it. I've used Citra before, and like the tropical flavor I got from it. I mixed it with Centennial that time, and the two combined for a bit more of an "edge" to the bitterness than I really wanted. I'm thinking the Amarillo is a better match.

Amarillo hops are my new crack.

I did an Amarillo Pale Ale and boy, oh boy, is it wonderful. A wonderful bitter flavor and then a hit of citrus hop flavor. I used them for bittering, flavor, and a dry-hop addition. I am seriously thinking about trying to use them on some grilled chicken or something. Hops, hops, hops! I love hops!

Back