Amarillo Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Anybody have some good recipes utilizing Amarillo hops?

I want to make a nice summer ale using Amarillo. Also, I am only doing extract right now, but would like to add steeping into the process. 5 gallon bach / 3g boil.

SMaSH=Single Malt and Single Hop. It seems to be done more with AG because you have more options for your base malt. Like Vienna,Pilsner, or Munich. I think most Light LME's or DME's are usually made from 2 row, But I haven't brewed with extract in a long time.

I would do something like this....

7 to 8 pounds of Light LME or DME, whichever you prefer
1oz Amarillo 60 mins
1/2oz Amarillo 20 mins
1/2oz Amarillo 5 mins

Should give you an OG around 1.046ish, give or take. And you'll get a real good idea of what the Amarillo hops are like. I personally haven't used Amarillo yet , but will be soon.

Thanks....Now do you have any reccomendations for a specialty grain I could steep with this. I am planning on steeping some this batch, then hopefully my next batch I'll go into a partial.

I would do something like this....

7 to 8 pounds of Light LME or DME, whichever you prefer
1oz Amarillo 60 mins
1/2oz Amarillo 20 mins
1/2oz Amarillo 5 mins

Should give you an OG around 1.046ish, give or take. And you'll get a real good idea of what the Amarillo hops are like. I personally haven't used Amarillo yet , but will be soon.

I like this recommendation. I would use 7lbs if using LME and 6lb if using DME. That will give you something in the low 1.05x range for OG. Steep .5lb crystal with it and you've got yourself a nice Pale Ale. Oh and split your extract and do half as a late addition.

If you can find some Simcoe to go with the Amarillo, I recommend Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale :tank: I have a partial mash version of the recipe and it's just delicious.

i have a great recipe for a pale ale that uses amarillo and cascade but it takes good amount of them. it just scored a 42.5 in a home brew contest. let me know if you want the recipe

If you can find some Simcoe to go with the Amarillo, I recommend Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale :tank: I have a partial mash version of the recipe and it's just delicious.

This looks like a good recipe to try. I have brewed Yoopers' DFH 60-min clone several times which uses Simcoe as well and love the way the Amarillo comes through.
However, if you want to keep it simple, stick with the SMASH idea that YankeeHillBrewer threw out.

i have a great recipe for a pale ale that uses amarillo and cascade but it takes good amount of them. it just scored a 42.5 in a home brew contest. let me know if you want the recipe

I also made a pale using Amarillo & Cascade. They work very well together as a pale, I bet it would be a nice summer ale too if you get the IBU's down.

This is one of my favorite recipes. The Amarillo really comes thru. Extract with steeping grains:

OG: 1.052 FG: 1.012 IBU: 30
Boil: 60 min Batch Size: 5

4 lbs Gold DME
3.3 lbs Pilsen LME

Steeping grains:
12 oz Cara-pils
1.25 lbs Honey Wheat

Yeast: Safale US-05
Hops: 0.5 Warrior (60)
1.5 oz Amarillo (15)
1.5 oz Amarillo (10

This is one of my favorite recipes. The Amarillo really comes thru. Extract with steeping grains:

OG: 1.052 FG: 1.012 IBU: 30
Boil: 60 min Batch Size: 5

4 lbs Gold DME
3.3 lbs Pilsen LME

Steeping grains:
12 oz Cara-pils
1.25 lbs Honey Wheat

Yeast: Safale US-05
Hops: 0.5 Warrior (60)
1.5 oz Amarillo (15)
1.5 oz Amarillo (10

What's this turn out like?

I did an Amarillo/Golden Promise SMaSH, and I'll tell you....it's good, but it's GRASSY. I mean it's BRIGHT AND GRASSY. It's good once you get used to it, but at first...woah...it's like liquid yard clippings.

I did an Amarillo Smash using extract and Maris Otter and it was WONDERFUL. People who are not real hop heads still love it.

OG 1.057
FG 1.014
ABV 5.6%

Extra Pale LME 3.3lb
Pale DME 1.4lb

Maris Otter Malt 4lb

Amarillo 1oz 60min
Amarillo 0.5oz 30min
Amarillo 0.5oz 5min
Amarillo 1oz 3 days Dry Hop

Washed Wyeast American Ale 1056

Mashed at 153