Am I still OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramzev

Reaction score
I am using a Coopers for my first batch, I posted here a few days ago about not having any bubbles in the air lock. It has been fermenting for 6 days now and I still haven't seen anything. Is this a sign that it's not fermenting correctly?

There is only one way to know for sure........check your gravity. If it has dropped then it is fermenting, if it hasn't then you may want to repitch your yeast.

Are you fermenting in a bucket with a lid? If so, make sure your lid is on tight enough so the CO2 isn't escaping out the from the lid. Same goes for the stopper/airlock. Agreed, you should take a gravity reading to know for sure.

I just took a reading. I started at 1.05 I'm now at 1.03, so I guess I'm ok. At what point should I bottle?

thanks for the help,
Dave

avidhomebrewer said:
Are you fermenting in a bucket with a lid? If so, make sure your lid is on tight enough so the CO2 isn't escaping out the from the lid. Same goes for the stopper/airlock. Agreed, you should take a gravity reading to know for sure.
I'm using a Coopers, it has a screw lid ans is tight, no air should be getting in.

I can't picture what a cooper's is- could you provide a link to a picture so I can visualize it?

Well, you should bottle when it's completely finished, and the gravity has been stable for at least three days. I always leave mine two weeks or so before considering racking it. Did your recipe give you a projected FG?

Ramzev said:
It has been fermenting for 6 days now and I still haven't seen anything. Is this a sign that it's not fermenting correctly?

I have one of these Coopers Fermenters that you have. My first batch had zero airlock activity also.

I searched some Aussie home brew forums (since the kit is made in Australia) to find out that it's a common problem with the Coopers fermenters.

There is a tiny ridge of plastic on the airlock that sometimes causes it not to completely seal in the lid. Not a problem though as your gasses are just escaping around the airlock and not through it.

As long as you see condensation on the lid and can see the krausen your brew is fermenting fine.

JailBreak said:
I have one of these Coopers Fermenters that you have. My first batch had zero airlock activity also.

I searched some Aussie home brew forums (since the kit is made in Australia) to find out that it's a common problem with the Coopers fermenters.

There is a tiny ridge of plastic on the airlock that sometimes causes it not to completely seal in the lid. Not a problem though as your gasses are just escaping around the airlock and not through it.

As long as you see condensation on the lid and can see the krausen your brew is fermenting fine.

I know the ridge that you speak of. You havr to put a rubber gasket on it before putting in the airlock. The molder didn't do a very good job with it, there was a lot of flashing that I had to trim. It makes sense that it would be leaking from there. I do have the condensation and the krausen so it looks like I'm ok! Thanks for the help!

Dave

buckeyebrewer said:
mental note......don't buy a Cooper's ferment bucket.

LOL, my thoughts are that it'll make the perfect bottling bucket once the IRS sends my tax return check. :rockin:

That said, the Coopers microbrew kit seems like a nice little starter kit since it comes with everything needed to make a 6 gal brew including PET bottles.

http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/hbrew.php?pid=8

So far, I like the no boil kits they sell. Seems to be a good intro to the hobby for one who wants to test the waters without going "all in" right off the bat.

Back