Am I risking bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoegaze99

Reaction score
Best I can tell I'm slightly on the edge but still in the safe zone, but I'd like to hear from folks with a lot more experience than me.

Bottled a summer weiss today. It spent 21 full days in primary. The FG was 1.020. I don't have an accurate OG reading.

I noticed when I moved it to the bottling bucket that there were four gallons, not five. I have no idea why; I'm sure I topped it off before pitching. But regardless, I had four gallons, so maybe I didn't.

At this point I had already added my priming sugar. Worried about having added enough for five gallons when I really only had four, I boiled & cooled some water, topped it to 4.5 gallons, gently stirred. (The 1.020 reading was taken before this; in my slightly flustered state I did not take a follow-up reading.) Not desirable to top off after fermentation, but didn't feel like it would be safe to bottle 4 gallons with enough priming sugar for 5, especially when the FG was higher than I'd expect.

The bottles are now in a safe, sealed plastic storage container.

So with the 1.020 FG and 4.5 gallon batch (with priming sugar enough for 5) am I risking bottle bombs right now, or is the FG just in the safe zone and did my topping off probably avert the risk?

what was the og? 3 weeks is usually as good as it gets,I dont do a three day check after 3 weeks because average ales will finish before 2 weeks from my experience. How much did you prime? your good i did a dunkle that i used 2.5 oz table sugar per 1.7 gal no bombs but i was nervous, but thats what the priming calc called for.
Im shure its ok it could be pretty carbed just check one after 2 weeks of conditioning to see how well carbing is use a icebath or refrigerate a few days.
With a tub your ok, keep it somewhere safer than normal but depends how much priming sugar you used?

My guess is "No". Fermentation was probably finished in the primary (did you take consecutive readings over a few days to verify that it was stable at 1.020?) and as long as you didn't over-prime with dextrose, you will be fine.

I'm not sure I would have topped it off with water, but it will be okay. Topping off probably had no affect on the risk of broken bottles - like I said, the fermentation is probably complete. A gallon short is kind of a lot, but did you have an exceptional amount of trub? I lose a good half gallon to trub, wet hops, etc. every time I bottle. My last batch yielded 39 bottles from a 5 gallon batch, as an example.

A gallon short is kind of a lot, but did you have an exceptional amount of trub?
More than I expected, since I poured this through a strainer when I dropped it into the fermenter, but I don't know that I'd classify it as an exceptional amount.

Re: taking readings on consecutive days, no, I got lazy and assumed (which I know you shouldn't do) that three weeks put me past when fermentation should have finished. I did this recipe with some friends two summers ago and we bottled at the two-week mark.

Because I topped off to 4.5, if I over-primed I don't think it was by much.

How much priming sugar did you add? If it was the typical 4 or 5 ounces, it'll be fine. Of course, that is assuming that at 1.020 the beer was done. If the beer was at 1.020 for at least a few days, it was done, though, so don't worry!

It was the typical 5 ounces.

Cool, this all sounds good. Looks like I can RDWHAHB.

In most cases beers can finish within a few days to 10 or so days.You just dont want to bottle that early. so it can conditon and taste good. I let time and temp tell me when to bottle and if i see a hydro reading i dont like when i bottle at 3-4 weeks i would let it sit.Havent had to let it sit yet longer to bottle yet. I have also only used good quality dry yeast also.
Its not such a bad thing to assume its ok at 3 weeks,from my experience its been done 100% of the time at 3 weeks with OG gravitys under 1.06.Using a recipe formualtion is nice to see what your FG is this is a way to see to bottle or not also.

Your standard 12oz bottle is rated for about 3 volumes of CO2, so with 5oz in 4 gallons you'd be (theoretically, of course) at ~ 3.15 volumes, which could potentially be a bottle bomb.

Since you already added it to your beer, I think it was a good idea to dilute it to be on the safe side and you diluted it (theoretically) to about 2.7-2.8 volumes, which is a nice carb level.

I've had a single bottle explode in all the beers I've made and even that single bottle was a pain to clean up. It's definitely no fun.

Back