Am I ready for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corycorycory09

Reaction score
I normally do all primary fermentation, but im 7 days into this bannas foster ale which requires bananas to be added in secondary.

Its been 7 days and i had about 3 days of really agressive fermintation. The last two days Ive been getting the occasional bubble through my blowoff tube. Should I give it more time in primary or am I good to transfer?

If you transfer while fermentation is still active but less vigorous, you can transfer and have and added oxygen from the transfer consumed by fermentation. Transfer that sucker.

If you transfer while fermentation is still active but less vigorous, you can transfer and have and added oxygen from the transfer consumed by fermentation. Transfer that sucker.

Thanks, I'm going to transfer tomorrow. With the extra sugur from 5lbs of bananas I was thinking having some active fermentation might actually be helpful.

Thanks, I'm going to transfer tomorrow. With the extra sugur from 5lbs of bananas I was thinking having some active fermentation might actually be helpful.

Best of luck with this. I just bottled an apple ale that I did similar to what you're doing with the bananas. After 7 days in my primary, I racked my beer on top of 3L of pureed apples. Secondary fermentation took off in no time.

Why not just dump them in the primary?

I've been told to always use a secondary with fruit additions, but I don't remember the reasoning.

Either way I didn't have nearly enough headspace in primary for all of those bananas and rum, so the secondary worked out OK.

I've been told to always use a secondary with fruit additions, but I don't remember the reasoning.

Either way I didn't have nearly enough headspace in primary for all of those bananas and rum, so the secondary worked out OK.

Just FYI, this has nothing to do with the fruit discussion. It sounds like you're saying your secondary is larger than your primary. Normally you want some headspace in primary to allow room for vigorous fermentation. You want as little headspace in secondary as possible. Not saying you don't know that but it sounds like your secondary is a larger volume vessel.....back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Best of luck! Let us no how it turns out! Bananas foster is tasty

Latest posts

Back