Am I out of CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjer

Reaction score
I think I am even though my gauge says I am half full. When I set the pressure to 25 psi (force carbing) and turn on the valve, it only goes up to 10 psi and I no longer hear any gas flowing. I think my gauge is broken. I shut it all down and reset everything, and I cannot even get it to set back to 25 PSI now.

If no gas flows and pressure does not rise, it is out....right??

Thanks!

The for sure way to know is to weigh the tank. There should be a TW stamp followed by number of lbs on the tank which is the tare weight (weight of the tank empty.) If the tank weighs more than this you have C02 left, if not you are empty.

Thanks Daryk77!

I did not know that either. I will do that first, as it is a bit of travel to refill it.

A simpler way to tell is just remove the regulator and open the valve a little bit. You'll know immediately if there is still gas or not. If there is still gas you may have a problem with your regulator or maybe as simple as a crimped hose.

Thanks guys...gauge is broken and I'm getting a refill. Seems like a no brainer now....how to check it. Valves and such....HA!
Kinda mad at myself for not even trying that first (facepalm).:D

Your gauge isn't broken. Using the gauge, you can only tell if you have liquid CO2 remaining or if you have no liquid CO2 remaining. You can still have some CO2 gas even if you are out of liquid CO2.

When you have liquid CO2, the pressure coming off of it will always be the same. Something like 800psi! As soon as you run out of liquid CO2, the pressure will start dropping, because there is only pressurized CO2 gas remaining and there is no liquid CO2 to provide pressure anymore.

Basically, as soon as the gauge starts dropping at all, it is time to get a refill.

In summary, liquid CO2 is very different than compressed gas, like what you would use for scuba.

LVBen said:
In summary, liquid CO2 is very different than compressed gas, like what you would use for scuba.

CO2 is compressed gas. When the gas is compressed it liquifies, then when the tank is opened the pressure is released and the liquid turns to gas

Put it in the fridge, take it out and look at the sweat ring around the bottle. Its not perfect but it will give you an idea.

LVBen said:
CO2 can be in the form of gas (compressed or not compressed) or liquid or even a solid, so I don't know why you would try to tell me that it is compressed gas.

Right but it is in a liquid state only when it is compressed. You can't have a cup of CO2 is a glass on the counter.So you don't measure liqud CO2 with the gauge you measure the pressure of the compressed gas

Right but it is in a liquid state only when it is compressed. You can't have a cup of CO2 is a glass on the counter.So you don't measure liqud CO2 with the gauge you measure the pressure of the compressed gas

Yes. That's what I was saying above.

However, when you go buy CO2, you are getting X pounds of liquid CO2 with a much smaller amount of CO2 gas in the headspace. The regulator will only give you the pressure of the CO2 which will remain the same until you run out of liquid CO2.

This is very different than when you go buy compressed O2 for scuba diving. You get only compressed O2 and not liquid O2. In this case, the pressure will continuously drop as it is used.

yup, which is why you should weigh the tank to know how much you have left, not rely on the gauge. If there is less than a pound start thinking about getting a refill.

Right but it is in a liquid state only when it is compressed. You can't have a cup of [liquid] CO2 is a glass on the counter.
sure you can. if it were -150 degrees outside, or if atmospheric pressure were 800 psi :D

So you don't measure liqud CO2 with the gauge you measure the pressure of the compressed gas

you dont need to measure that though, it cant tell you how much is left in the tank. the high pressure gauge on your regulator really only tells if if the tank is empty or not empty. it doesnt tell you when it is full or any other degree of fullness besides completely empty.

it will always read the same pressure (given its at the same temperature) as long as there is liquid CO2 left. it will only drop below that reading when the liquid is gone, and at that point its 98% empty.

Back