Am I missing something ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakehale

Reaction score
I've seen a few threads about beer guns and filling bottles/growler from a tap.

I have bought my growlers from Gordon Beirch, and all they do is fill them up straight from the same tap they filled my beer glass from. I take them (growlers) home and drink them,,,, mostly in one day but sometimes have a carry over to the next. Beer is fine.

what am i missing with filling them with beer guns and the sort???

jake

From what I know, the beer guns are actually for forcing beer into 12 or 22 oz bottles and capping them. They will force the Oxygen out and put CO2 in its place, allowing you to drink soon after without worrying about yeast sediment in the bottom of your bottles.

Yep. The whole point of the beer gun is to get as little oxygen into the beer as possible.

The beer gun is used to fill bottles and cap and keep carbonated. If you're serving the same day or next, using a tube and just filling from the tap is fine. If you're entering it into competitions or want to keep it carbed up for longer than a day or two, you'll need a beergun or counterpressure bottle filler.

Ahhh, got ya. So I could full a growler from my keg (plain and simple) and take to someone's house to drink.

Yes, just like they do at breweries. I use a tube to help reduce the foaming and then just cover it.

You could also buy a "carbonator cap" and fill a 2L soda bottle from your tap and then put the carbonator cap on it and give it a blast of co2 from your system. That keeps the beer carbed lots longer, but a plastic soda bottle may not be as pretty as a growler!

Back