Am I gonna need a blowoff? (Nottingham)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bzwyatt

Reaction score
Brewed an English IPA yesterday, pitched a rehydrated pack of Nottingham at 10pm. Pitch temp was about 62-63, OG is 1.065, volume in fermentor (6.5 gal glass carboy) is right at 5 gal. I have it in a fridge at 64F. I plan to let it warm up to 68 over a couple days.

This morning at 7am there was movement and bubbling in the carboy, and at 12pm it is more active and krausen is forming.

I've brewed with Nottingham a couple times but I'm not really familiar with it. Heard from a couple guys it eats through sugar real good.

I am wondering if I'm gonna need a blowoff... I have one and I was going to use it, but I guess I didn't clean it well enough last time, it smelled bad, so I threw it out and just put foil on top of the carboy. Maybe I'll get some tubing tonight... I don't want to wish I'd used a blowoff...

So, is Nottingham an aggressive fermenter, in your experience?

Well i would suggest lowering it to 60F. I had cleaner results with notty at 60 vs 64. I also never had to use a blow off with notty but i never used it on a beer with a gravity of 1.06+

My brother used Notty in his milk stout on Friday and early Sunday needed a blowoff tube. That was also due to the fact that he had a small amount of headspace left. I have a 6.5 gal carboy full at 6 gal of Irish Red (with wlp004)and just put the blowoff on to start with. Put it on for 3-4 days just in case. Can't hurt...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1404778298.248379.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1404778320.207252.jpg

This is what he woke up to, and there was no activity when he went to bed.

ALWAYS use a blow off tube, esp. on a 1.060+ beer. Better safe than sorry. I use 'em even on smaller beers.

How do you clean a blowoff?

I'm thinking I need to buy tubing in 'bulk', whatever lengths they sell it in, and just cut off pieces when I need it. I've been getting 6' lengths at LHBS and I just need a bunch.

How do you clean a blowoff?

I'm thinking I need to buy tubing in 'bulk', whatever lengths they sell it in, and just cut off pieces when I need it. I've been getting 6' lengths at LHBS and I just need a bunch.

I clean mine in those long trays used for wallpaper glue. Soak in PBW or oxyclean then rinse.

Didn't see any bubbling in my blowoff pitcher so I switched it to an 'S' lock and man! It's constant at 3-5 bubbles each second. The yeast are working overtime...

Back