Am i doing this right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daieye

Reaction score
Hi i am new to this i would like some advice. I am on my third brew i buy my stuff from Wilkinsons this first two brews were a lot better than i thought they would be. My process is follow the instructions in the tin.

and then i put it in the fermenting bucket sealed with a heat belt,

Keep it there for 7 days then transfer it into beer bottles with a teaspoon of sugar and seal.

keep in doors for 3 days then move outside for 2 weeks before drinking.

After this i still get a lot of sedement in the bottom of the bottles.

any tips for improving would be great
ps i am currently doing a stout

Hi, and welcome to HBT.

The first thing I would advise is for you to go to How to Brew - By John Palmer and dig around a bit. It's a great online intro to brewing, and would help you start to understand your process better.

If you're looking to make beer with a bit less sediment in the bottle (you need some, that yeast sediment is what helps carbonate the beer), I'd advise leaving the beer in your primary bucket for three weeks, then transferring to a proper bottling bucket for priming and bottling. After only a week in primary, it's likely that you still have a lot of yeast in suspension.

Always remember, ask three brewers a question, and you'll get five answers. This is a craft, and there are a lot of different ways to get things done. Most of them are right.

Keep it there for 7 days then transfer it into beer bottles with a teaspoon of sugar and seal.

keep in doors for 3 days then move outside for 2 weeks before drinking.

7 days is just a random number. Do you have a hydrometer? If you dont, try and leave it in the primary fermenter 2-3 weeks.

+1 to what the others said.

Be careful with that process though. As stated, if you are bottling after 7 days without doing any measurement, you might not have complete fermentation. Also, 1 teaspoon per 12 oz bottle seems like a high ratio. Assuming approx 50 beers per 5 gallons that would mean that you are using the 50 teaspoons which is a little over a cup of sugar. Depending on what type of sugar you are using, the combination of these two things could potentially make for a bottle bomb. Per How to Brew, the amount of sugar per 5 gallons should be 2/3 cup with cane sugar or 3/4 cup dextrose.

You might be ok with your method, but it only takes one overcarbed beer to make for an ugly situation.

3/4 teaspoon of sugar is the correct amount for a 12 oz bottle, according to my Mr. Beer chart. A full teaspoon seems like too much.

If you leave your beer in the fermenter for 14 days instead of 7, you'll have less sediment in the final product, and likely better tasting beer as well. Most of the kit instructions are aimed at getting you the fastest beer, but not necessarily the best.

Bottle carefully and try not to stir up any of the yeast trub on the bottom of the fermenter. Once you bottle, store them at room temperature (70* F) for 2-3 weeks. After that you can put them in colder storage if you like, but you don't have to.

Back