Am I doing this correctly? (New Kegger)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattn

Reaction score
Hey all. First batch of IPA has been kegged and put into my newly built kegerator. It is a Haier 5 cu ft deep freezer with a 10" collar. I have a manual Johnson temp controller set at 36* currently. I have the probe approx 10" from the freezer bottom in open air. The co2 tank is outside of the kegerator and set at 30 psi. The plan is to leave this for 24 hrs and drop it to about 10 psi.

My worry is I do not have a fan setup inside yet, so the temp fluctuates from top to bottom. About 4" down from the keg top is measuring 40*.

I just have a bad feeling that I am doing something out of whack.

Suggestions?

Relax...I have my keg fridge set at 42. The Johnson probe is in about 20 oz of water (nalgene bottle) nestled close between two kegs. Controller is set to 38, but the fridge is 42. When I force carb I set it to 28-30 and wait 48-56 hours. Drop to 12 and sample. 6 kegs in a row this way. I still wait another week before I really tear into the keg.

the probe in water vs. probe in open air thing has been driving me crazy. both have good reasoning behind them, but then again i am not up on my thermodynamics.

I can't say I have noticed mine cycling often. Even with the top open it takes a while to kick back on.
My cup of water on the compressor hump is staying at a nice 36*.

mattn said:
I can't say I have noticed mine cycling often. Even with the top open it takes a while to kick back on.
My cup of water on the compressor hump is staying at a nice 36*.

You say top open, yours is a chest type. Cold air sinks so you don't lose much cold. Mine is upright, so I dump cold air with each opening.

Back