Am I almost done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Felixnemat, Sugars in cider (whether fructose or sucrose - Apples don't naturally have a starting gravity of 1.076) will all ferment bone dry. Alcohol is less dense than water and if water has a gravity of 1.000 then you can expect - all other things being equal that your cider could end up with a gravity of below 1.000 - perhaps as low as .996 or even .994, so there are still a few points to drop.

Something else to add: bubbles may just be CO2 coming out of solution. Check the gravity in a few days. If it hasn't changed, you're done.

I don't even bother with disturbing things and taking gravity readings until the vent is bubbling slower than every 30 seconds. Generally about 2-3 weeks of activity and then let it sit for another week of very slow vent activity before I proceed to the next step.

How long has it been fermenting? I would let it go till its slower before checking gravity again.

Back