Am I a beer geek or beer snob?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrZ

Reaction score
I would like to think of myself as a Beer Geek, because I really love beer, and not only want to learn as much as possible, but educate others as well. But when faced with someone who pontificates about how Bud Light is the best beer on the planet, and they can't stand that "thick bitter crap" I just want to hit them over and over again until they are incapable of speech (permanently). Does this make me a Beer Snob instead?

facepalm.jpg

Sounds snobbish. Who cares what others like? If they have tried it and don't like it then good for them.

you can ignore them
OR
learn to brew an American Light Lager (the biggest homebrew challenge you'll ever take on)and then step them up to a CAP and realize that's as dark as they may ever go.

I don't really mind the people who actually like it, but I occasionally run into folks who haven't really tried much of anything else, and think that it is the ONLY thing worth drinking. I usually try to offer people a cream ale, or a different lager, such as a bock or helles as a starting point. I'm not saying you HAVE to like craft beer, but my guess is that if you try it, you'll find something you like. It's like saying a McDonald's hamburger is the end-all-be-all of beef. It's not bad sometimes, but there is a hell of a lot better options out there.

Being into craft beer and wanting to learn as much about it as possible makes you a beer geek. Caring what beer other people enjoy makes you a snob. Like what you drink and drink what you like and don't worry about anyone else.

Sounds like it's not about the beer, it's about the attitude. Some folks just don't have an open mind, not much you can do to change that.

Being into craft beer and wanting to learn as much about it as possible makes you a beer geek. Caring what beer other people enjoy makes you a snob.

No points for wanting to educate people, huh?

Seriously, has no one else ever run into someone they wanted to beat because they trash-talk homebrewing and craft beers with no knowledge what-so-ever? I'm not trying to tell people what they should and should not like, I'm just trying to fight the ignorance here.

DrZ said:

Seriously, has no one else ever run into someone they wanted to beat because they trash-talk homebrewing and craft beers with no knowledge what-so-ever? I'm not trying to tell people what they should and should not like, I'm just trying to fight the ignorance here.

Yes I have, but most of the time I just let them go on - they usually end up sounding like blowhards.

If they are not a blowhard, I might suggest that they try a Metrpolitan Flywheel (Kolsch) or Five Rabbits Blonde and compare and contrast it to an American light lager.

But if they are in mid-rant blowhard mode, I try to let it go. But I agree with you that they can be damned annoying.

If you make judgments about people based on the beer they drink, you're a beer snob. If you make judgments about beers because of the people that drink them, you're a beer snob. If you make judgments about beers based on their qualities alone, then you're a beer geek.

I'll have a crack at this.

A "Beer GeeK" is a beer drinker, probably not a brewer, who obsesses about beer brands. A beer geek knows all the craft breweries, their personnel, their beer lineups, their stats, the seasonals. The beer geek endeavors to taste every beer that meets his threshold definition of "quality", and freely opines about that beer's characteristics, strengths and weaknesses. The beer geek isn't limited in any way to locally produced beers, as he's tied into a network of trading beer geeks, all, like him, seeking to expand their beering "life lists".

A "Beer Snob" is like any other snob, that is, if you don't rise to his or her level, you're not worthy of pretty much anything, including the beer snob's attention. A true beer snob, when met with the classic "I don't like dark beers like Guinness, they're so heavy and bitter", will smile a knowing smile, say something like "oh, yes, of course" and look over the ignoramus's shoulder for someone more suitable to talk to. After all, a snob is a snob, and why waste the effort?

A "Beer Dick" is one who just won't shut up, because someone, anyone in the world doesn't know much about beer and, of course, that person MUST be chastised, educated, refuted and cajoled until he admits that he doesn't know much about beer and that he "really should" learn.

Points for wanting to spread the hobby of home brewing. Some people are just ignorant, they can't appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into making fine beers. Thats fine, more beer for us true beer lovers. I'd be interested to have these people do a blind taste test and see what they think. If they choose the they cheap beer, so be it. I don't see a way of changing their mind.

I had a Bud Light Lime after baseball yesterday, and I enjoyed it. I talked with my bud-loving friend about Coors Light Iced Tea (C.L.I.T.) and how it is refreshing and thirst-quenching. Then I went home and had a limited-release IIPA from a local craft brewery.

Life is all about balance, and enjoying the moment. Just be cool, man.

A true beer snob, when met with the classic "I don't like dark beers like Guinness, they're so heavy and bitter", will smile a knowing smile, say something like "oh, yes, of course" and look over the ignoramus's shoulder for someone more suitable to talk to.

The sad thing is how often I have heard this line, and yet the person doesn't realize it sounds just like saying, "I don't like Mexican food because I had a burrito from Taco Bell that one time." And they refuse to believe that any other beer would be different.

Willful ignorance is something you can't sway, generally. If someone makes a statement denigrating craft brew ask which ones they've had and offer a couple suggestions on others to try. If they remain unreasonable and won't listen to your advice, move on, you're probably not going to change their mind. Whatever you do, don't "fight fire with fire" and attack whatever it is they drink. That's a sure way to get someone to close up completely.

My personal favorites are usually one of my friend's fathers or perhaps a neighbor who decline when offered a beer at my house. If I say, "If you don't like beer, we have plenty of other stuff to drink." and they reply, "Oh, I like beer, but only good beers--like Bud Light, not any of that heavy, bitter stuff..." You know how the rest of the conversation goes.

Chances are, if I am at that person't house and they offer me a Bud, I'll drink one to be polite. I might also ask them if they like any other beers, or suggest some craft beers for them to try in hopes that next time I come over, they are better stocked.

I would like to think of myself as a Beer Geek, because I really love beer, and not only want to learn as much as possible, but educate others as well. But when faced with someone who pontificates about how Bud Light is the best beer on the planet, and they can't stand that "thick bitter crap" I just want to hit them over and over again until they are incapable of speech (permanently). Does this make me a Beer Snob instead?

No, it makes you intolerant. An opinion is just that - an opinion. If you're moved to violence against someone simply because they don't like what you like, then you need psychiatric help. If you're just being sarcastic, then never mind. :)

My wife and I make jokes around other beer geeks about BMC but neither of us is beyond drinking it under the right circumstances. We don't harass other people about their drink selection and we let people air out their thoughts, even if they are poorly formed. Somebody has to get very hostile about discussing beer for us to be snobby back.

A couple weeks ago a guy in class got into a discussion about drinking and self-described himself as a beer snob and only drinks IPAs. He proceeded to share these gems with the group he was talking to:

No carbonation in Guinness

IPA is made by a specific brewing process that makes it taste hoppy and perfectly bitter. "So specific" with a "small envelope" in the process to get it right. I guess that process isn't just adding more hops.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is an IPA

IPAs are not as popular as ambers or light lagers because those are supposed to taste good.

He can only tell the difference between 4 IPAs, all the rest taste the same so he knows if he orders an IPA anywhere he will like it.

I had to try real hard not to get in on that, but I didn't because it wouldn't have done any good. He was obviously wasn't going to listen to anything like facts and I didn't see a reason to waste my time.

I think that is the other side of the coin--the person who thinks they are a beer geek/snob, but is even more ignorant than the masses.

If someone who has tried an acceptable variety of other beers (say at least 50) could explain to me why they really love American Light Lagers, and why they prefer the flavor profile (or lack of) to all others, I would be happy to accept their argument. I have never met someone like this. The discussion generally goes, "I tried so-and-so once, didn't like it, gon'a stick with my Bud"

I think that is the other side of the coin--the person who thinks they are a beer geek/snob, but is even more ignorant than the masses.

If someone who has tried an acceptable variety of other beers (say at least 50) could explain to me why they really love American Light Lagers, and why they prefer the flavor profile (or lack of) to all others, I would be happy to accept their argument. I have never met someone like this. The discussion generally goes, "I tried so-and-so once, didn't like it, gon'a stick with my Bud"

Well, how can somebody explain WHY they like something to your satisfaction? I mean, I love brussel sprouts. It's not because I tried broccoli and found it lacking, or that carrots have less body. It's just that I happen to love brussel sprouts. Telling me that I really shouldn't enjoy brussel sprouts when there are other vegetables out there is insulting and demeaning. It makes a huge assumption that the reason I love them is because I don't know any better.

People like what they like. It's not my job to convert people to brussel sprouts if they don't like them, and it's incredibly arrogant to assume that they only like what they like because they are ignorant. If someone tried brussel sprouts once and didn't like them, that's their business.

Why do you give a **** what other people like? It's not being a beersnob, it's being a jerk.

If I go to a nice restaurant, and still order a burger, that's because I like burgers. It's not because I'm uneducated about food. The same thing is true with beer. If people want to drink a light American lager because they enjoy it, that's great.

Being a beer geek means you get excited about new beers, styles, breweries, etc. Being a beer snob means you put people for liking beer that is "beneath" you.

well, how can somebody explain why they like something to your satisfaction? I mean, i love brussel sprouts. It's not because i tried broccoli and found it lacking, or that carrots have less body. It's just that i happen to love brussel sprouts. Telling me that i really shouldn't enjoy brussel sprouts when there are other vegetables out there is insulting and demeaning. It makes a huge assumption that the reason i love them is because i don't know any better.

People like what they like. It's not my job to convert people to brussel sprouts if they don't like them, and it's incredibly arrogant to assume that they only like what they like because they are ignorant. If someone tried brussel sprouts once and didn't like them, that's their business.

Why do you give a **** what other people like? It's not being a beersnob, it's being a jerk.

If i go to a nice restaurant, and still order a burger, that's because i like burgers. It's not because i'm uneducated about food. The same thing is true with beer. If people want to drink a light american lager because they enjoy it, that's great.

amen, yooper!

I prefer "Beer Enthusiast".

For the record, after coming home from drinking pints (I mean... clarity samples) of and brewing a hundred+ barrels of super hoppy IPAs or super thick stouts per day at a craft brewery, I look forward to cracking a Pabst. I love our beers but you need to have something to cleanse the palette and hydrate with =) But seriously, I love Pabst.

Well, how can somebody explain WHY they like something to your satisfaction? I mean, I love brussel sprouts. It's not because I tried broccoli and found it lacking, or that carrots have less body. It's just that I happen to love brussel sprouts. Telling me that I really shouldn't enjoy brussel sprouts when there are other vegetables out there is insulting and demeaning. It makes a huge assumption that the reason I love them is because I don't know any better.

If I go to a nice restaurant, and still order a burger, that's because I like burgers. It's not because I'm uneducated about food. The same thing is true with beer. If people want to drink a light American lager because they enjoy it, that's great.

Terrible analogy though. Brussel sprouts taste like ass to 99.9% of the population. The other 0.1% don't have tastebuds. If this person said "herp derp I don't like pizza because once I had one with mushrooms on it", you'd think they are crazy. Same goes for beer - theres' so many different kinds it's IMPOSSIBLE to only like light american lagers.

Terrible analogy though. Brussel sprouts taste like ass to 99.9% of the population. The other 0.1% don't have tastebuds. If this person said "herp derp I don't like pizza because once I had one with mushrooms on it", you'd think they are crazy. Same goes for beer - theres' so many different kinds it's IMPOSSIBLE to only like light american lagers.

But see, that's why I thought it was a good analogy. Busch Light tastes like ass to 99.9% of Beer geeks :D. Brussel sprouts= Avery Mararajah IPA. :p

Pilgarlic said:
A true beer snob, when met with the classic "I don't like dark beers like Guinness, they're so heavy and bitter", will smile a knowing smile, say something like "oh, yes, of course" and look over the ignoramus's shoulder for someone more suitable to talk to.

I guess I'm a beer snob. In that situation I change the subject as quickly as possible and if I find no common ground quickly I slowly back away looking for someone I'll enjoy talking to...

My problem is with people who think that American Light Lager is all that is worthwhile without having ever really tried something different. If thinking that someone should be knowledgeable about a topic before espousing their opinion makes me a snob and a jerk--I'll take it. Most craft beer lovers don't like these beers, and the ones that do have my full support. It's the people who don't know any better and haven't ventured out to try something different--and play into Anheuser-Busch's marketing--who think they are "experts" simply based on quantity consumed rather than variety and knowledge that I have a problem with. We shouldn't tolerate ignorance, especially carefully cultivated and kept ignorance, in beer or any subject.

I prefer "Beer Enthusiast".

I keep telling my wife that. I'm not a snob, I'm an enthusiast.

My problem is with people who think that American Light Lager is all that is worthwhile without having ever really tried something different. If thinking that someone should be knowledgeable about a topic before espousing their opinion makes me a snob and a jerk--I'll take it. Most craft beer lovers don't like these beers, and the ones that do have my full support. It's the people who don't know any better and haven't ventured out to try something different--and play into Anheuser-Busch's marketing--who think they are "experts" simply based on quantity consumed rather than variety and knowledge that I have a problem with. We shouldn't tolerate ignorance, especially carefully cultivated and kept ignorance, in beer or any subject.

You're fighting a losing battle against some of the largest advertising agencies in the world. And it really isn't your job to educate the ignorant.

I only turn to snob mode when I encounter people who go to a beer bar and, given a cheaper craft alternative and bartender encouragement and assistance, won't branch out past their adjunct light lager. It's stupid. Call me a snob or a jerk. I don't care.

Refusing to drink a Bud Light your buddy offers you is being a beer snob.

However, a BMC drinker is allowed to refuse your expensive craft beer without being considered a beer snob.

Double standard!

I started right out with sharing information (and my beers) with people interested. If they aren't, I keep it to myself. When someone hears I make my own beer, and I see the smug grin and they say," You make anything good?" I usually answer,"Nothing you'd like." ;) This usually gets them more interested when I leave them out, rather than argue my beer's greatness.

I keep wanting to enjoy tomatos. They are pretty, I love ketchup and salsa and tomato sauces; just can not like them raw. I don't know; but it doesn't make me think others should not partake. I love brussel sprouts too. They taste great and give me rank gas. :rockin:
And there is nothing like asparagus pee.

Back