Always a bridesmaid never the bride.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FSR402

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My homebrew club has a meeting once a month and at those meetings we have a beer competition and every month it's a different BJCP style. Last night was IPA's so I submitted my Red Dragon IPA that I took a silver at a real BJCP competition last April with. There are a lot of great brewers in the club so I figured that if I could get in the top 6 I was doing good.
There were 16 beers submitted and everyone in the club (that was there that night) got to judge the beers and voted on the top 5. We have a few certified beer judges so I would assume that they judged them the best they could where as the others just went by what one they liked the best. The beers are numbered and only one guy knows who's beer is who's to keep it fair.
Anyway, I took 2nd, again. The beer that won was basically my beer dialed down. It was an all Amerillo IPA but mine had more flavor and aroma hops then his. His I thought was a great beer too but I prefer more of the "West coast" hoppy beers.
20 people said mine was the best and 25 said his was the best.

Even though I again did not win I'm not changing that beer. I think I'm going to find a few more competitions and send it in to see how it does.

Like you, I see no reason to change it. As you seem to understand, you do not need a gold medal to brew great beer. By the same token, what you like may not suit popular tastes, but what are you brewing for?

Congratulations on both your placings and your beer!

TL

I made a version of your Red Dragon IPA and thought it was fantastic... I will certainly be brewing it again. I even made a Pale Ale (Mini-Dragon APA) based on the Red Dragon grain bill and it turned out most excellent!

If you were hoping for top 6, and you got 2nd, I figure that is pretty darn good!!! I may have to try a 5 Gal version of this recipe sometime as I just got some Amarillo!

I made a version of your Red Dragon IPA and thought it was fantastic... I will certainly be brewing it again. I even made a Pale Ale (Mini-Dragon APA) based on the Red Dragon grain bill and it turned out most excellent!

cool... there is no better feeling then when someone likes your brew... I've made a lot of beer from brewers here that are better then any beer you can buy. I love this place. :rockin:

Latest posts

Back