Aluminum vs. Stainless Steel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biscuits

Reaction score
I hear different things about aluminum producing metallic flavors in beer. I was wondering how much truth is in this and what can be done to mitigate or stop it?

I hear different things about aluminum producing metallic flavors in beer. I was wondering how much truth is in this and what can be done to mitigate or stop it?

I haven never heard of aluminum giving beer a metallic taste. Iron? yes.

Now if you were to DRINK beer out of a raw aluminum "glass" then you might taste some aluminum on your tongue.

But MANY people use aluminum for homebrewing PRE fermentation.

Look up [emoji115]��

*EDIT: Ahh, I see what ya are pointing at Sticky

I scrolled right passed it.

I haven never heard of aluminum giving beer a metallic taste. Iron? yes.

Now if you were to DRINK beer out of a raw aluminum "glass" then you might taste some aluminum on your tongue.

But MANY people use aluminum for homebrewing PRE fermentation.

So, aluminum boil kettle is fine, just not an aluminum fermenting vessel. I just needed some reassurance because I have heard through casual conversation that aluminum brew kettles might produce flavors, yadda-yadda. Is it just preference then for people to use the more expensive stainless steel kettles or is there another reason?

Folks have loved to hate aluminum for as long as I can remember........... It's all BS in my opinion............That said I don't need to repeat that you should not use it for a fermenter.

H.W.

Copper is fine for pre fermentation as well, but if you can afford that, you should go Stainless. (Actually, I think you should go stainless if you can afford it anyway.)

But yeah, aluminum is fine for mash tun, Hot liquor tank, or boil kettle.

To be honest, there are some pretty inexpensive SS pots out there that are fine for brewing with. You can get aluminum for a little less still, but SS is not terribly pricey until you start getting into the higher quality pots. (and/or start tricking them out with valves, thermometers, sight gauges, etc...)

As opposed to the one you selected, I would suggest you buy a 44 qt. Bayou Classic, drill your own hole for the valve, and buy a cheap stainless valve and bulkhead. I made two of those and use them for my 5 gallon batches, over 30 so far with no leaks or issues whatsoever. Welded handles, solid construction. Not the best kettle in the world, but definitely a solid choice, from experience. In fact, here is a nice picture of my kettle in action.....

photo.JPG

As opposed to the one you selected, I would suggest you buy a 44 qt. Bayou Classic, drill your own hole for the valve, and buy a cheap stainless valve and bulkhead. I made two of those and use them for my 5 gallon batches, over 30 so far with no leaks or issues whatsoever. Welded handles, solid construction. Not the best kettle in the world, but definitely a solid choice, from experience. In fact, here is a nice picture of my kettle in action.....

This is actually the route I was going to take. The reason I asked about aluminum is because I found a 7.5 gallon for $10, but I think I will just hold out for the Bayou Classic.

I know it can get expensive, and for $10, you may just want to get it to get you by for a time and then you can use it as a HLT until you get enough to buy another SS pot.

But in all honesty, there only reason I would ever have to replace my pots is out of desire, not need. The initial investment is higher, but you will be happy with your choice. That said, there any many people on here who use aluminum pots with no ill effects. But the consensus is that Stainless Steel is better, FWIW. There are also sales on MegaPots from time to time, and also Spike Brewing is popular as well for value/performance kettles. The best advice is to get what your budget allows and get to brewing. As I have said on this forum before, your beer doesn't care if your pot has a sight glass, valve or temp probe. All of that just makes your life easier, if you are into that type of thing.

For $10 I'd buy the aluminum and upgrade later on if I wanted to. Lets go over the pros of SS again.

It's harder/more durable -- has anyone actually damaged an aluminum pot? They're pretty thick gauge and it's still metal... hard to really dick it up.

Can use certain cleaners on SS that you can't on Al -- I don't even clean my pots generally outside of a scrub and water... but maybe I'm a heathen. Might do a little bit of PBW/Oxi in the BK while scrubbing the caked on stuff off, but that's about it.

This is actually the route I was going to take. The reason I asked about aluminum is because I found a 7.5 gallon for $10, but I think I will just hold out for the Bayou Classic.

Well, another related subject you bring up is size.

It matters (sadly) even in brewing.

Yes you can get by with a smaller kettle, but honestly I wish I'd have taken the advice of veteran brewers and shopped for a 10G kettle right away.

I'm not saying a 7.5G turkey fryer isn't a great way to get started, but if you don't need a burner I highly recommend starting with a 10G kettle for 5G batches.

I'd like to up that ante and say you should consider a 15 gallon if you're considering BIAB 5 gallon batches.

Well, another related subject you bring up is size.

It matters (sadly) even in brewing.

Yes you can get by with a smaller kettle, but honestly I wish I'd have taken the advice of veteran brewers and shopped for a 10G kettle right away.

I'm not saying a 7.5G turkey fryer isn't a great way to get started, but if you don't need a burner I highly recommend starting with a 10G kettle for 5G batches.

Oh, I am looking at 10 gallon pots. The 7.5 was only appealing because of the price point and the fact that I am doing 2 gallon batches right now, but if I am going to buy something new, I am just going straight for the 10 gallon.

I have a nice stainless kettle with welded fittings, and two $20 aluminum tamale steamers with weldless thermometer and spigots. I use all three concurrently when brewing, and do not favor the stainless over the aluminum in any way. Just don't clean the aluminum with anything other than water and a clean sponge.

Ive been using aluminum for years, no problems. Cleans right up with soap and hot water. If its really nasty i'll break out the scotch brite pads.

I would love to go stainless, but would rather spend the money on other little tricks in my brewery. Another plus to aluminum is better heat transfer rates. Meaning, you will reach boil temps faster by like 30 seconds maybe? SS is a poor thermal conductor.

Aluminum is a very good choice, especially if you direct fire the kettle since Al has a higher heat transfer coefficient than SST.

I've used Al for about a decade and appreciate its application in brewing. I finally cleaned my kettle with something more than a scrubby last year. I gave it a hot PBW soak to strip off the nice brown patina that had developed in that time. It took about a hour, but all the organic layer finally dissolved off and left a shiny metal surface. I was worried about corroding the Al, but the PBW did not do anything to the metal in that hour-long soak. I did give the kettle a test boil with hard water prior to brewing with it again and the metal turned that nice gray color so that I knew the oxide layer had formed.

Nothing but praise for Al kettles. Mine is one of those thick-walled commercial kitchen stock pots that I picked up used off of Ebay. Well worth it.

One thing that gets overlooked on the plus side for aluminum, it is easier to deal with in terms of drilling. You can drill stainless steel, but it is more work for the casual DIY guy with craftsman drill and a Harbor Freight step drill bit.

Aluminum is cheaper, but it is more finicky. Getting the passivation on it, dealing with beer stone, and my 10 gallon aluminum pot eventually went out of round.

How ever.... Off flavors and health hazards are not a signficant issue for the home brewer.

If a 10 gallon aluminum pot cost the same as a 10 gallon stainless steel pot, there would be almost no debate over which one to get. Save some money today, put in a bit more work over the next few years.

ETA: I have used StarSan To get it beerstone off my boil kettle. Seems to work fine.

I found this Concord DIY Brew Pot. It looks like a really good deal.

Check eBay. I have the same pot, in a 15 gallon version, that I bought. I got two of them for about $130 shipped and it was straight from Concord Cookwares. You have to drill and add your own ball valves though, but that should still be better than the Amazon price.

I have a 10 gallon Bayou just like Yeast Mode's. They are great kettles for the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
please tell us why? 10g/60q pot is more than big enough for 5 gallon BIAB batches.

For the small difference in price, you can have the ability of full volume mashes with bigger beers and be able to do full 10 gallon boils on bigger batches. I paid less for my two Concords than I did for my 10 gallon Bayou. Granted, the Bayou does have volume graduations and came with a spigot and steaming basket. If the OP is comfortable installing his own ball valve, I'd have to lean toward the bigger Concords.

please tell us why? 10g/60q pot is more than big enough for 5 gallon BIAB batches.

If you're doing bigger beers and/or stuff that requires a 90 minute boil, a 10 gallon pot can be restrictive when full volume mashing. I have a nicely tricked out Bayou 1044 that works fine with a 2 vessel system, but that last beer I brewed would have been too much for it due to the additional volume needed for a 90 minute boil. Yes, you can sparge through the bag and all, but if you're looking for sheer simplicity a bigger kettle is better. Also, now you have the capacity to do 10 gallon batches of lower gravity beers if you're so inclined.

It's simply more versatile.

Latest posts

Back