Aluminum Can Shortage? Seriously?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate using CNN as a source for anything, but I came across this article about a shortage of aluminum cans here in the US because....."COVID and the current hard seltzer craze." I wish I was kidding.... 🙄 Why America is running out of aluminum cans
If people aren't working then nothing gets made. The next few months to year is going to be tough. Shortages are already happening across the board and I don't see it getting better in at least the short term.

Here are some cans for ya:

Cans, oops.jpg

Just sweep em up!

Reminds me of brewing "fruit wine" as a college freshman. Add 1 can Welch's frozen grape juice concentrate to 3 quarts water and 2 tablespoons sugar. Place in a 1 gallon glass jug and cover with a condom for one week (10 days if you wanted "aged" wine). Store it next to that noisy radiator in your dorm room.

At least I discovered something I could actually use those condoms for.🤥

Too lazy to read the article but here in NJ it's pretty easy to understand why. Every brewery was forced into a takeout model and they could no longer take someone's used growler and fill it. The only thing they could do is package in cans/crowlers. If every place once sold less than 10% of their beer in can releases and 90% in taproom pours and growler fills, you can easily see where the can consumption came from.

Maybe people are hoarding the cans to hold the coins that they're hoarding....

We were forced to here in Michigan. Bottle/Can return was ordered shut down for a few months. Then the lines were incredibly long so many still haven't been returned. And I'm sure there's a backup at the recycling facilities.

People are selling bags of cans and bottles on Facebook classifieds for around half their return value. Not sure how successfully.

We were forced to here in Michigan. Bottle/Can return was ordered shut down for a few months. Then the lines were incredibly long so many still haven't been returned. And I'm sure there's a backup at the recycling facilities.

People are selling bags of cans and bottles on Facebook classifieds for around half their return value. Not sure how successfully.
I live in Jackson Michigan. Not a fan of ol' "Stretching Gretchen" at all. I'll just leave it at that. Wife and I made close to $200 the week the bottle returns opened back up after a friend of ours called us and said "I'm tired of looking at all these @#*ing bags of beer cans, you can have the money off 'em if you get 'em out of my garage for me." Having a non homebrewing friend who's a functioning alcoholic has its perks sometimes.

Just thought some folks might be interested in an update. Since May, I've gotten a job in a brewery working in packaging. There is a legit can shortage as a result of more people drinking at home (more beer and other things – yes, people drink things other than beer though God only knows why - going in cans as opposed to kegs), and also the tariffs have constrained supply. Interestingly (though possibly only to the industries affected), 16 oz cans are relatively easy to get while 12 oz cans are a rare commodity.

Glass is easy to come by.

Back