Alternative to the auto siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandlerBang

Reaction score
Mine's cracked at the bottom. What the hell? I've used in on maybe 8 batches. Is any alternative to this method? I use buckets to ferment, carboys to secondary/ age if needed, and kegs. What does everyone else use?

You can use the carboy cap method.

Morebeer sells a sterile siphon here http://morebeer.com/view_product/18872//Sterile_Siphon_Starter_-_For_5_and_6_Gallon_Carboys

After breaking a few piece-of-crap auto siphons (I really don't understand why they don't make the plastic stronger,) I started using the caps with a stainless racking cane and sterile filter. I'll never go back.

A lot of people use the cap method with CO2 to purge the carboy instead of blowing into it.

I use a racking cane and flexible tubing. I start the siphon with my mouth. I know it's wrong but it's so fun.

I use a stainless racking cane and have a plastic T in my hose. One arm of the T goes to the cane, one to my air draw leg and on to the fermenter/bucket. I fold the fermenter leg over to seal it and suck through the air draw tube. When I have flow, I clamp the air draw hose closed and release the flow in the outflow tube. SUPER easy, takes 1 minute to set up and I have to sanitize 3 hoses and 1 T instead of one hose.

There's a thread about it here. Helps to have a few spring clamps around to hold the draw tube above the liquid level and to clamp the hoses in place.

BSD

I have done 3 racks with the carboy cap method and pushing co2 in and I will never go back.

I just took the bulb off of a turkey baster. I use the tapered plastic part to start the siphon. Just slip the pointed end into the siphon hose and suck where the bulb was. It comes right out of sanitizer and is still wet with it where it touches the hose. As long as you don't suck the beer all the way to your mouth its sanitary. I tried the Flyguy method. This is much easier.

I use the method suggested, I think, by the DVD that came with my starter kit. I leave the siphon tube soaking in sterilizer for a while. When I'm ready to rack I lift it out by the ends so that the sterilizer stays in the tube. I stick one end on the racking cane. Stick the racking cane into whatever container needs racking out of, then lower the other end of the tube. I let the sterilizer run out into a separate container until the beer/wort starts to run out. Pinch it off, then transfer that end to the destination vessel. Works like a charm.

Back