Alternative to airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bomber fridgmenter

Reaction score
Just started my second batch ( tiny rebel Cwtch), and have a question regarding airlocks.
1st batch I started with a 2 piece bubbler with a steriliser solution in it. Kept having to top up every couple of days. I changed to vodka and that disappeared even quicker.
I was considering attaching a piece of hose to the center of the bubbler, after removing the top and the putting the other end in av500ml bottle half filled with starsan solution. Intention just to reduce the topping up of the bubbler. I only have enough room for a beer bottle in the fermentation cupboard.
Is this an option, can you have too much liquid level above the end of the hose. Any thing else to consider.

As long as fermentation is happening there is an excess of CO2 that needs to escape. Unless you change the environment like doing a cold crash where the temperature change causes liquid to be sucked back from the airlock, plain water works well. It doesn't foam up like a StarSan solution nor does it have the alcohol so it doesn't get pushed out of the airlock as easily nor evaporate as quickly as vodka.

Your proposed solution would work well too. If you immerse the tube too far into the solution the CO2 may escape somewhere else which is not a real problem.

If your hose fits snuggly into the bung I'd do away with the airlock all together and stick the other end in a beer bottle full of sanitizer. Most people call this setup a "blow-off".

As long as fermentation is happening there is an excess of CO2 that needs to escape. Unless you change the environment like doing a cold crash where the temperature change causes liquid to be sucked back from the airlock, plain water works well. It doesn't foam up like a StarSan solution nor does it have the alcohol so it doesn't get pushed out of the airlock as easily nor evaporate as quickly as vodka.

Your proposed solution would work well too. If you immerse the tube too far into the solution the CO2 may escape somewhere else which is not a real problem.
Thanks for the swift reply. I had looked around on the site but most speak of full on blowoff systems. I don’t think I need that as I brew in a 30l fermentation bucket and only brew 20-23lts so think I have enough head space. Just wanted to not have the need to regularly check bubbler level and leave it to get on and do it’s think.

You're basically describing a mini blowoff tube. Should work fine.
Awesome thanks for the info.
Also thanks for your advice on my previous post. First brew seems to have gone well. Currently bottle conditioning in the fermentation cupboard with this second batch below it.

Attachments

• E877835B-7734-4599-B47E-C432527CA7BC.jpeg
    E877835B-7734-4599-B47E-C432527CA7BC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 55
If your hose fits snuggly into the bung I'd do away with the airlock all together and stick the other end in a beer bottle full of sanitizer. Most people call this setup a "blow-off".
Thanks for the reply. May look into bung/hose size. Found a post describing using the lower section of the bubbler and the hose I have is a good fit on the centre post.

Awesome thanks for the info.
Also thanks for your advice on my previous post. First brew seems to have gone well. Currently bottle conditioning in the fermentation cupboard with this second batch below it.
Off topic: What's the temperature in there? Bottle conditioning tends to work better at slightly higher temperatures (+70F) than fermentation (60's F). I'm not saying that conditioning/carbonation won't happen at fermentation temperatures; it just may take a little longer.

I’ll check shortly. I have a min/max thermometer in the cupboard. The temp probe for the STC-1000 is attached to the side of the FV. I suspect the chamber temp may be slightly higher, especially at the top where the bottles are.
So STC-1000 for this batch is set at 18.5C, lower than the 1st batch. I was intending the bottles to stay in there for 2 weeks then remove to a crate In the garage. Currently ambient temp is around 6-12C.
Do you think that’s long enough.
I can leave longer I’m in no rush. How long would you expect with warmer temps. Going forward I could have a week or so between bottling and new batch and ramp the temp up in the fridge to condition. Then new batch in and start again. I was just trying to work efficiently with the space I have.
thoughts would be great.

Bottled beer will condition at 18.5C (65F); it just may take a little longer. I condition mine in my closet, which stays between 70-75F, for three weeks. They're pretty much carbonated after two weeks, but they tend to taste a little better after that extra week.

Try one after two weeks and see where you are. If the carbonation isn't where you want it, try another after another week. If it's still not carbed, or if it tastes "young," you may have to consider either a longer conditioning period (4+ weeks) or a different (warmer) conditioning location.

Do you have a closet, laundry room, etc. that stays a bit warm?

Thanks for the info.
dont want to risk upsetting the wife with a bottle bomb on my 1st batch 😂. So I was hoping to do it in the warm fridge. I recon the bottle area is possibly at around 17C. I think it’s cooler due to the heater being under the FV and as soo as that is at temp set point the heater turns off and the temp starts to slowly drop. I’m getting no over shoot of temp at the moment, I expect due to the ambient temp being low. Currently the set point is 18.5C with a hysteresis of 0.3C. I’m in seeing nothing above 18.5 and a low of 18.2C.
May need to possibly condition separately between fermentation’s. Perhaps 2 weeks at 23-24C then start next batch.

I bottled some of this batch in plastic bottles so I could monitor pressure.
another possibility would be to make a strengthened shelf at the top of the fridge for the FV and place the bottles at the bottom. This may be a good alternative.
lots of little adjustments and learning points as I go along. Helped with knowledge and ideas from you guys.
what an awesome hobby, currently loving it.

If you have access to an IR thermometer I would recommend taking a few measurements from top to bottom. Unless you have a fan inside you may have a wider variance than you realize.

+1 on using a few plastic bottles. Very wise move.

If you have access to an IR thermometer I would recommend taking a few measurements from top to bottom. Unless you have a fan inside you may have a wider variance than you realize.

+1 on using a few plastic bottles. Very wise move.
I might have an IR thermometer at work I could borrow.
Thanks. I read a lot to try and make as fewer mistakes as possible. Hence not wanting to have conditioning bottles in doors. 😂 I’ve read too many horror stories.

Bottled beer will condition at 18.5C (65F); it just may take a little longer. I condition mine in my closet, which stays between 70-75F, for three weeks. They're pretty much carbonated after two weeks, but they tend to taste a little better after that extra week.

Try one after two weeks and see where you are. If the carbonation isn't where you want it, try another after another week. If it's still not carbed, or if it tastes "young," you may have to consider either a longer conditioning period (4+ weeks) or a different (warmer) conditioning location.

Do you have a closet, laundry room, etc. that stays a bit warm?
Just did my morning check of things and checked one of the plastic bottles. Much firmer than it was when I bottled. Feels like a bottle of fizzy drink at the supermarket. Currently no leakers. Fingers crossed this is a good sign that things are progressing nicely.

Latest posts

Back