Altered lagering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanuckBrewing

Reaction score
So coming close to starting my lager. Just having a problem finding a solution to the actual lagering phase and achieving a temperature of 30F.
So i was wondering, i have a cold room around 30F and my lager is at a temp of 60F after its diacetyl rest, is it possible to wrap blankets around the fermenter, and then remove layers to obtain the ~5F drop per day?

So coming close to starting my lager. Just having a problem finding a solution to the actual lagering phase and achieving a temperature of 30F.
So i was wondering, i have a cold room around 30F and my lager is at a temp of 60F after its diacetyl rest, is it possible to wrap blankets around the fermenter, and then remove layers to obtain the ~5F drop per day?

Don't forget to rack it after the diacetyl rest. If you have to bring it into a warmer place to rack it, then it'll take longer to chill down. I don't know of the blankets off will lower it 5 degrees per day, but even if it doesn't, it should work ok. Many people don't lower it 5 degrees per day, they just put it at lager temps, and it works.

I use a water bath with ice bottles in my cold room. That may not work for you if you're as low as 30 degrees, though- you'd hate for it to freeze and break your carboy!

Latest posts

Back