altered decoction mash schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David20Hersch

Reaction score
basically what i want to try and do is brew a hefeweizen and pull a single decoction. i have read up a lot but wanted to see what you guys think of this exact schedule.

1. Start with a ferulic acid rest at 110f for 20 mins

2. Then raise the temperature up to 152f for 30 mins

3. 30 mins in pull a single decoction and boil for 15 mins.

4. raise to 170 and sparge

how does that sound????

basically what i want to try and do is brew a hefeweizen and pull a single decoction. i have read up a lot but wanted to see what you guys think of this exact schedule.

how does that sound????

I'm not sure I understand the decoction at 30 minutes into the mash? What is the mash temp going to be then?

Why not decoct from the ferulic acid rest, or decoct from saccrification rest to the mash out?

yea i guess i could just pull a decoction at 110. Usually the decoction needs to sit sit at 154 for 15 mins and then boiled for 15 mins, thats the usual norm. so i thought i would mash it all together at 152, last 15 minutes pull the decoction and boil, return it to the mash to raise it all to 170 for mash out.

how does that sound????

The 42F differential between your first and second rests is not realistic. A 20F jump is what you will get with a typical decoction. I'd suggest starting at ~130F for 20 minutes then your +20F decoction will take you to the main rest.

Back