Almost there. Need some regulator help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
So I've got my kegs and a 20# tank (for $40 :ban:) Now I just need a regulator and some lines. I've been looking at this one. Link Seems like a good deal and the reviews push me towards it.

Now, onto a subject I know nothing about ... lines. The regulator above states
Outlet Barb: 3/8" O.D. with shut-off
What do I need as far as lines and a picnic tap? I'm not seeing a picnic tap on their site, but surely I can pick one up from my LHBS. Do I need hose clamps?

I pretty much just need someone to say, "Chris, listen ... you need to buy XXXXX at XXXXX length.

Thanks.

:tank:

I just switched my lines from 1/4" id to 3/8" id and it made a world of difference. I am using 8' of beer line (black) which I purchased from my LHBS. I use regular faucets, but do have a picnic tap for emegencies.

There are calculators out there that help you to establish line length and id for tubing, but I know not where to locate them.

Good Luck.

Salute! :mug:

I just switched my lines from 1/4" id to 3/8" id and it made a world of difference.

I think you mean 3/16" ID (if you're talking about beer lines).

I think 5/16" is the normal size for gas line, but you could probably jam some 5/16" tubing onto a 3/8" gas barb.

Most liquid barbs are 1/4", and I know you can put 3/16" hose on there. That's actually what most recommend, and it works pretty well.

Chris, listen :)

You'll want to run 5/16" ID lines between the regulator and kegs. Those are whatever length you need. I made one of mine nice and long so I can use it outside the fridge for carbonating or purging kegs.

Between the keg and tap you'll probably want 3/16" ID line. The smaller line has more restriction to reduce foaming. There's a chart at this page that you can use to estimate your line length. I use 5' on most of my lines and that works for me.

If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks, do yourself a favor and get the nice vinyl hose made for kegging. I made the mistake of buying the thin wall vinyl from that orange big box store. It's stiff and difficult to work with compared to the nice soft stuff I got from MicroMatic. The thick wall tubing stays flexible when cold and is MUCH easier to push over barbs.

Cheap crap on the left, MicroMatic lines on the right.

kegeratornew1.jpg

Does that answer your questions?

-Joe

Thanks guys!

I was looking at this gas line. It's 5/16 at 5' long. It comes with two plastic clamps. Am I just better off getting the metal clamps you tighten down with a screwdriver?

And what about keg connectors? How do these look? Link

Those are the right ball lock connectors. Definitely use hose clamps on your gas lines. You can get away without using them on the beer lines, but it's sort of a gamble. I prefer the extra assurance and put them on anyways.

I've never seen plastic clamps before, but I do know that you can get stainless worm clamps (the ones you're talking about) for $0.98 per pair at Home Depot. There's also a 10 pack for around $4.50. They're over in the electrical area if I remember correctly.

If you're pricing a lot of this stuff, check kegconnection.com too. They may be cheaper, and they may not.

I got my 3 body regulator set up there, and it's decent stuff. It's certainly not Taprite brand, but I paid a whole lot less and they work perfectly fine. The 20 pound tank is big enough not to get all tippy with a 3-body reg on there.

Back