Almost forgot most important item...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlatheSurferDude

Reaction score
Was bottling my fourth batch tonight, a simple wheat extract brew. Part way through the process I realized I wasn't having a home brew. I opened one of my oatmeal stout from my previous batch bottled little over two weeks ago to see how it was doing. Was pretty happy. Nicely carbonated for the time in the bottle and tasted very good. Pretty happy for it being my third batch. Only problem with that batch is my dad, who bought the kit, gets half the batch. He bought it so I could show him the process. I guess that's a small price to pay... :mug:

Looking forward to many more batches. I've been looking at the process to do all grain. Something I would like to try. Until then I'll enjoy extract brewing.

I have to say this is a great forum and community. I wish I could ask more questions but so far simple searches have answered my questions.

Cheers!

I spent many years on extracts & steeping grains(with fantastic results... won a club competition or two), only moved to all grain in the last few years. All grain takes a bit more time... sometimes I miss the extract steep method, just in time savings, but if my grain bill is 8lbs or less I'll do the BIAB method and save 90 min or so, with good results. 9lbs or more it's full mash for me.

I spent many years on extracts & steeping grains(with fantastic results... won a club competition or two), only moved to all grain in the last few years. All grain takes a bit more time... sometimes I miss the extract steep method, just in time savings, but if my grain bill is 8lbs or less I'll do the BIAB method and save 90 min or so, with good results. 9lbs or more it's full mash for me.

I've actually been looking into BIAB. I don't have the equipment for anything more, but with what I have I can do smaller batches. I like the idea of being able to try small batches to find what I really like as well as learn more about the finer points of brewing. Then slowly start acquiring more equipment over time.

Also the added time for AG would be hard for me as I pretty much have to wait and start stuff up after the kids go to bed. Another reason to stick to extract for now... Still fun to dream. One of my favorite places on the forum to visit is the DIY section.

start with small partial mashes in your kitchen, they are fun! even partial BIAB! all you will need is paint strainer bags from lowes or home depot. no extra equipment $5 for 3 bags and they can be reused if you clean them well.

A small batch all grain brew in a bag usually takes me about half an hour more than an extract batch. I consider that a good trade for the freedom to choose all my grains that I want in a batch plus I can do it all in the kitchen on those days that I don't want to go outside. Going to a full size batch of brew in a bag takes me longer because of the time spent heating and cooling the batch but I can still do it fairly quickly.

Back