Almost blew it today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
While transferring beer to the bottling bucket I looked down and saw the valve was open. YIKES!!!! Closed it fast and lost maybe one bottle's worth. Trouble is I don't know how much of the carbonating sugar I just put in the bucket went out the valve....

So I just went a head and bottled and hope it's not to under carbed in 3 weeks. Can't believe I did this. Would be the first time in over 5 years of brewing.

Still a proponent of batch priming. Gently, gently stir to distribute and go

I know this too late to do anything, but for others reading this, just dump the first bottle back in the bucket and proceed as normal. I've done it dozens of times. Not a big deal.

I know this too late to do anything, but for others reading this, just dump the first bottle back in the bucket and proceed as normal. I've done it dozens of times. Not a big deal.
Disregard this. I misread and was thinking you had a bottle filler on your valve, like this. It's been so long since I bought my bottling bucket, I thought they came with them. I thought you were worried about the wand filling with the priming sugar, so the first bottle would be over-primed, not that you spilled it right onto your floor.

I have done something similar though, where I realized I made a mistake in my priming sugar calculations after I had already racked the beer into the bottling bucket. What you can do then is just put a lid on it and let it ride. Give it a week or so and bottle it.

Back