Almost a SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxweb

Reaction score
I have some ingredients I'd like to use up this Saturday to make room for more.
I'm thinking about the recipe below recipe. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Original Gravity: 1.054
Terminal Gravity: 1.015
Color: 9.5 SRM
Alcohol: 5.09%
Bitterness: 43.6

Category: 10 - American Ale
Subcategory: A - American Pale Ale
Author:
Date: 2022-10-01
Kettle Volume: 13.22 gal @ 212 °F (1.048)
Boil Duration: 60 m
Evaporation: 1.5 gal
Water Volume Added: 0.0 gal
Final Volume: 11.25 gal @ 68 °F (1.054)
Efficiency: 83.5%
Attenuation: 72.0%

Ingredients:
1.5 tsp 5.2 pH Stabilizer - added during mash
4 oz Rice Hulls - added during mash
19 lb (93.8%) Maris Otter; Crisp - added during mash
1 lb (4.9%) Caramel Malt 40L; Briess - added during mash
4 oz (1.2%) Cara-Pils® Malt - Briess; Briess - added during mash
1.5 oz (15.0%) Centennial; Hops Direct (12.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
.5 oz (5.0%) Azacca® (13.2%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m
2.0 oz (20.0%) Azacca® (13.2%) - added during boil, boiled 3.0 m
1 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10 m
1 ea RVA 131 Chiswick Ale (Fullers) Slurry
6.0 oz (60.0%) Azacca® (13.2%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

I plan on using 1 or 2 of these pint jars of Fullers yeast from a local brewery.
Virginia Beer Company RVA 131 Yeast Slurry.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds tasty, but it's nowhere near a SMaSH (single malt and single hop.)
Yeah I know. I started the thread with only MO malt. I decided to add some other malts and edited my post. Should have started a new thread with a different name.

In my experience Carapils is useless, and from what I’ve read, worse than useless. You don’t have enough to matter, but why not save one step and leave it out?

I'm guessing you did an IBU calculation for the hops? They feel a bit light even for a Pale Ale but might be fine, they are higher AA.

That looks like a ton of yeast in those jars, can't imagine needing 2.

I'm guessing you did an IBU calculation for the hops? They feel a bit light even for a Pale Ale but might be fine, they are higher AA.

That looks like a ton of yeast in those jars, can't imagine needing 2.
IBU calculation is 43.6 excluding the dry hops of course.

There's about 6 oz. of settled slurry per jar with an active layer on top of the beer. My post boil volume is 11.25 gallons. I'm leaning towards using the entire contents of one jar swirled and pitched.

What are the rice hulls for? I don't see any wheat...
I use a natural gas direct fired mash tun and recirculate the entire time. The rice hulls help prevent compacting the mash. I consistently get 83.5% efficiency, no stuck mashes, and very clear wort. If I'm using wheat malt and/or flaked oats, I increase the amount of rice hulls. Cheap insurance for me.

In my experience Carapils is useless, and from what I’ve read, worse than useless. You don’t have enough to matter, but why not save one step and leave it out?
I've tried it with and without. To me there is a noticeable improvement in body and foam retention with the Carapils. Also, that was supposed to be 8oz in the recipe. 8oz is my standard for all brews except some porters and stouts when I use 16oz. Perhaps it's just me, but I like it. It's insignificant cost and it gets run through the mill with all the malt. To me, it's not so much what I read, it's what I like. To each his own.

I updated the recipe in post #1

Last edited:
Back