almost 5 weeks and still not so good

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronin

Reaction score
4.5 weeks now and still strong green apple smell and taste (well there was a couple that were really good but many are sour)
the ones that are sour (most of them) are really really sour. One was so bad I just dumped it as I could not stomach it. so Odd!

I am assuming this is the aldehyde stuff but I am not sure if it will get better?
will the yeasties in the bottles take care of this? if so, how long?

I would say just to keep those bottles lying around for a while and brew another batch. According to John Palmer, those types of flavors are indeed coming from the Acetaldehyde produced by the yeast. This chemical can give off the taste of green apples and does normally subside with time in the bottle. I'd try to give this another 2-3 weeks before popping open another bottle to try.

Green apple flavor from "green" beer fades, but doesn't get worse. If it's that sour, I wonder if you have a lacto infection. Does it also gush a bit when you open it?

Did you sanitize the bottles first?

I did not properly sanitize one of my first batches and it had a slight green apples smell and taste. I still drank it and most people did not notice it, but you may just have to suck it up as a learning experience.

I learned that the sanitize cycle on the dishwasher does not really sanitize the inside of the bottles. But since then I have soaked each bottle in idophor and have not had a repeat experience.

JesseRC:
it is beer. its a simple no boil kit.
chlorine stuff (pinkish powder) in tub full to soak everything, rinse 5 times.

1 gallon boiling water, open tin poor in mix... add cold up to 23 litres mix well and pitch yeast.
Bottles same thing. soak, rinse then star san.... boil dextose, rack to bucket, bottle.

Yooperbrew:
Nope no gush... normal hiss, slight carbonation (the ones that did taste good were more carbed i noticed) and the beer is clear.

I will leave them and drink retail until my second and 3rd batch are ready..... 2nd is in bottle now for 1 week already, 3rd bottled 2 days ago, and I will be making another next week. :)

what is the temperature you are conditioning at ? What temperature did the beer ferment at?

Keep the bottles warm enough to allow the yeast to ferment & condition... if you store them somewhere cold (like in a basement) during a Canadian winter, it might take closer to 4 months instead of 4.5 weeks.

How long are you waiting before you bottle?

10 days in primary, 2 weeks in secondary... (longer for my subsequent batches)

what is the temperature you are conditioning at ? What temperature did the beer ferment at?

a small room in my basement with a digital space heater kept at a steady 72 for fermentation and also bottle conditioning...

Back