Allaghsh yeast ranching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltman

Reaction score
I was considering harvesting the dregs from a bottle of Allagash Tripple for my next brew but then remembered that some breweries use a different yeast to bottle condition than the yeast used for fermentation. Does anyone know if Allagash uses the same yeast to ferment and bottle condition?
Thanks for your help!

I can't speak for their triple, but the Allagash White dregs work perfectly. Dregs from 3 bottles (about a month old according to the date stamps) in 500ml of 1.036 wort, almost blew the lid off the flask by the next night. I split a 10 gallon batch of a classic Wit between the Allagash and some WLP400 for comparison. Both yeasts took off like a banshee and did their thing. Definitely liked the flavor profile of the Allagash better, but the 400 was very nice also.

There are rumors floating around that many of the Allagash beers are of the same yeast. Some rumors say they mix multiple strains. Other rumors say they use a bottling yeast in some products. I have no clue where the truth lays and i'm sure they wont tell you, but their white contained a wonderful yeast that would be quite nice in many Belgian style brews.

Last edited:
You need to harvest from White. That's the yeast they use to ferment Tripel.

Back