All these cara malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBeernut

Reaction score
I have used crystal enough to know what it tastes like, but what exactly is the difference between crystal, caramunich, caraviene, and carahell?

Second question - carapils vs carafoam?

I have used crystal enough to know what it tastes like, but what exactly is the difference between crystal, caramunich, caraviene, and carahell?

Second question - carapils vs carafoam?

Cara malts are essentially the same thing as Crystal malts. The German & Belgian producers call them "Cara" and the British and Americans use "Crystal". Of course there are some differences in colors and flavors since they are produced from different types of barleys and different maltsters. CaraPils and CaraFoam are both dextrin malts. Again different companies use different terms for similar products.

I do know what they are. I guess I was looking for details on the differences in taste. For example, something like "caramunich has a slight toasted flavor that American crystal doesn't"

The link that Rocketman posted has one of the best listing of the "details" of the different cara malts that I have ever seen.

# CaraPils - (1.5 to 3L) - Pilsner malt steeped to add mouthfeel without much color or flavor.
# CaraFoam - (1.5L) - Carapils-like malt from Weyerermann
# Caramel Malts - Anywhere from 10L to 120 L
# CaraVienna (CaraVienne) - (20 to 22L) - Vienna Malt based crystal malt product.
# CaraHell - (10 to 11L)
# CaraRed - (20L) - Adds a great red hue - great in Red ales or Scottish -/L beers.
# CaraAmber - (27L) - Intensifies color and aroma.
# CaraMunich - (43 to57L) - Varies by maltster, adds toffee, roast
# CaraAroma - (120L) - Adds color, armoa, coffe, roast, toast to stouts and porters
# Carafa I (337L), Carafa II (425L) and Carafa III (470L) - Adds color, aroma to stouts,schwartzbiers, dopplebock, etc.

Ah. Thanks. That is exactly what I was looking for. I didn't even notice the link.

Back