All the nasties went into the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puttster

Reaction score
In my 5 gal BIAB, the main problem is that my fermenter is filled with nasties. I think what happened is there was a rip in the mesh bag I used for hops but it could be other things, too. When I was sucking on the siphon to the fermenter and the beer got to my lips there was so much trash in there I had to stop and spit.

Looking for some ideas to clear the beer. I do have a funnel with a filter but IIRC that thing clogs up easily. I think I need to move fast, but which way?

putts

I am going to assume that by nasties, you just mean all the trub?

Just relax and let it ride. Fermenting on the trub is fine, in fact some experiments seem to indicate that it helps. Throw the yeast in and just let it do it's thing. All that trub and hop material will naturally settle out and you'll be fine.

For bigger particles you may use a strainer or something like it.
But the usual way is to cold crash the beer. You can add some gelatin as well.

I hope you rinse your mouth out with mouthwash or vodka before mouth-siphoning. Manual siphon can be started by filling your line with water then quickly draining. Might tak a bit of practice, but doable.

OMG you crybabies and handwringing p*ssy germaphobes, put your man-pants on and get a life. You sound like my grandmother, warning me about kissing.

Experiment time: cook up a few gallons of wort, cool it to 70F, dip your lips (and maybe some tongue) into it, then wait a few days and see what happens. If your grandmother warned you about kissing wort, you'll quickly see that she was right.

Experiment time: cook up a few gallons of wort, cool it to 70F, dip your lips (and maybe some tongue) into it, then wait a few days and see what happens. If your grandmother warned you about kissing wort, you'll quickly see that she was right.

If done properly, there will be no saliva during a mouth started transfer. You should only have to pull air like sipping from a straw, no licking of lips or tongue in the hose necessary.

Your proposed experiment is not representative of a mouth initiated transfer. Besides, pre-ferment, your pithed yeast should overtake. Post ferment, inherent alcohol should keep you safe.

In my 5 gal BIAB, the main problem is that my fermenter is filled with nasties. I think what happened is there was a rip in the mesh bag I used for hops but it could be other things, too. When I was sucking on the siphon to the fermenter and the beer got to my lips there was so much trash in there I had to stop and spit.

Looking for some ideas to clear the beer. I do have a funnel with a filter but IIRC that thing clogs up easily. I think I need to move fast, but which way?

putts

I wouldn't worry about it. These days I transfer most of what's in my kettle to my fermenter, including all kinds of trub. It settles out overnight and compacts during fermentation. I don't think it has any negative effect on my beers. I also fine with gelatin after kegging and that stuff works crazy good to clear my beer.

If done properly, there will be no saliva during a mouth started transfer. You should only have to pull air like sipping from a straw, no licking of lips or tongue in the hose necessary.

Your proposed experiment is not representative of a mouth initiated transfer. Besides, pre-ferment, your pithed yeast should overtake. Post ferment, inherent alcohol should keep you safe.

Sure, IF done properly, you're not wrong. But why take a chance to move the risk of infection from something like 0.2% to 2%?

Ha. I just bought my buddy an autosiphon cause I couldn't stand to watch him suck start that racking cane any longer!

Euuuh!! You could have saved yourself a few dollars by teaching him the trick where you fill the tube with water, put your gloved finger over the outlet end, put the other end in the beer and then release your finger with the outlet in position.

Euuuh!! You could have saved yourself a few dollars by teaching him the trick where you fill the tube with water, put your gloved finger over the outlet end, put the other end in the beer and then release your finger with the outlet in position.
He started out that way and decided that was too much extra effort! Ha. Figured lazy man siphon was the way to go.

OMG you crybabies and handwringing p*ssy germaphobes, put your man-pants on and get a life. You sound like my grandmother, warning me about kissing.

You posted all worried to hell because you got some hop and break material in the fermenter. Which is mostly a non-issue. But you lash out when told that starting a siphon like that could lead to an infection? Priorities are weird man.

I'll sit tight, then, and try gelatin. Thx to those who helped.
As for the posters who want to talk about germs, please start your own threads.

Back