All the dry hops sank!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraftwerk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time this has happened... 3oz columbus pellets sank to bottlm in secondary and did not float back to the surface, as us usually the case. Wondering if ill still get good utilization. I did stir them up once & will probably again a day before kegging. At least racking will be easy :)

image-2404008408.jpg

how long did you have them sitting in there?

They sank immediately. As of today they've been in there four days. Gave them a good stir last night and noticed these pellets are much finer consistency than usual. Settled out right away. Hey I'm not complaining just usually I'm left with a big mass of leaf matter on the surface. I've heard some pros rouse their dry hop bed with co2 to maximize aroma transfer to the beer.

Hops always sink when saturated, confused about the surprise of this happening.

Usually a portion of the hops sink and the rest float. Nothing unusual about that. This is the first batch I've had where 100% of the hops sank immediately. Surprised you've never seen hops float!

Back