All my beers smell the same

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
I can smell the difference of beers in craft breweries and commercial breweries, but I cannot smell the difference between my own beers.

I have made 4 batches now, all different styles. A Bavarian Heffe, an IPA, an American Amber, and a Holiday Ale, and every damn one has the same, somewhat unappealing, smell to them.

I've used Liberty, Northern Brewer, Mt. Hood, and Fuggles as aromatic hops at 1min left in boil.

Still nothing. Am I missing something? I do usually tend to use high alpha bittering hops, and have used 3 different hops in 3 of my beers, and 4 in my 4th one. Is that a problem?

I just really want to get a beer with a nice aroma, and a different one. My next beer I'm goign to use noble hops for bittering, flavor, and aroma, so hopefully that will help because I'm tired of the results I'm getting now, but I have to wonder..is it my hop selection, or brewing process?

Could you describe the smell that is similar between them? That could help us figure out what may be similar between the batches.

you definitely need to describe the smell.

fermentation temps, yeast strain, and certain brewing processes can effect the aroma

How are you chilling the beer post-boil? How long do you keep the 1 minute/flameout hops in the pot before removing them? If nothing else, you could try dry hopping for some nice aroma.

Back