all my beer taste the same

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi darby_ross,

Please read post #35 I am really trying to help you and I'll bet if you try it, it will help.

You don't have anything to loose by trying it, much better than dumping another batch if you ask me.

When I started out I listened to the people saying beer is good at 2 to 3 weeks old and tried drinking my beers in 2 to 3 weeks too, tried other peoples beers at 2 to 3 weeks also, and I have yet to have anyones beer at 2 to 3 weeks old that is even worth drinking.

Do whatever you want, after all its your beer !

I was just trying to help the OP but I guess others here take offense to that.

Cheers :mug:

I think the "Cheers :mug:" comes across as pretty glib/sarcastic after certain types of posts, especially ones where you're mocking half a dozen people for their sensible advice. But it seems like you put it after everything even though it's not your sig, so my actual non-sarcastic apologies if I "took offense" without reason. It definitely wasn't because you tried to help the OP, that's ridiculous.

Anyway, we can still settle the substance of the point. OP, have you poured every beer you ever made out after just four days, or have you given some time to age?

I think the "Cheers :mug:" comes across as pretty glib/sarcastic after certain types of posts, especially ones where you're mocking half a dozen people for their sensible advice. But it seems like you put it after everything even though it's not your sig, so my apologies if I "took offense" without reason. It definitely wasn't because you tried to help the OP, that's ridiculous.

Anyway, we can still settle the substance of the point. OP, have you poured every beer you ever made out after just four days, or have you given some time to age?

You just can't help your self can you.

And I really don't care what you think to tell you the truth.

If you don't like the cheers after everything don't read my post.

I will no longer reply to you fearwig as this is not helping the OP, neither is telling him that 2 to 3 week old beer taste good.

"Two or three week old beer taste good" - not something I have said (though it obviously can? what are you doing to the beer that you can't drink it until month in the keg?)

Still hopeful to help the OP, if such a thing is possible. *headdesk*

Try RO water. And don't pour your beer out if it doesn't taste good yet after one or two weeks. Both good advice. The latter I would wager you have already tried, because who would do that?

Really ? Yes and they filter out the chlorine too ! Guess you didn't know that.

He has also switched sanitizers

Granted Purified water will have it removed and is cheap, but the cheapest crap (he did not specify) is straight outa the tap.

CHEERS!

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/greenhouse/post/2011/01/bottled-water-lack-key-data/1

"Bottled water companies try hard to hide any information consumers may find troubling," Jane Houlihan, EWG's senior vice president for research, said in releasing the findings. "Their ads depict mountain streams and natural springs. Yet nearly half the time, according to the industry's own statistics, they're bottling tap water."

Bottled water companies are not required by the Food and Drug Administration, which regulates the industry, to publish water quality tests. The Environmental Protection Agency requires water utilities do so for tap water.

Okay boys... I think we are straying from the topic.
I do agree that there are a number of culprits and most of the ideas and advice given on this thread are worth while and legitimate. I would, however, lean toward the possibility that the beer is still too young. I can say without a doubt or bias that beer, very freshly carbonated can and will have a very unpleasant and overbearing flavor from the initial reaction of co2 and h2o. Many of us describe it differently, but they way the op has described it is one way I have read and heard before. I would try and let it sit in the keg for at least 2 weeks before enjoying. Obviously I would also try and eliminate any of the other very possible causes that have been mentioned. Don't give up hope yet!

The Bold I highlighted in your reply is the taste problem.

Try your beer 14 days on the gas after kegging and aging/conditioning it for 2 months before you put it on the gas, and I would bet it taste good, beer 4 days on the gas taste nasty.

Only 2 weeks in the bottle carbing up can taste nasty too.

Most 2 week old beer taste nasty too.

Give your beer some time to get good, Try 2 months on one of your bad tasting beers before you drink it and I'll bet it will taste good !

Im sure you are tasting green beer flavor too.

This

I don't wanna harp, but what are the odds this guy has never had a beer that hasn't been in his keg more than two or three weeks? Is he a hardcore alkie who doesn't like to brew very often? Otherwise it's basically impossible. It's not the answer because even if you drink your beer too green, you eventually, by the end of it, drink some beer that isn't too green. Because it takes you a little while. It sounds like a good answer because it's a finger-wagging "don't do what you want to do" thing, but it's not the answer to an off flavor question because invariably he'd have figured it out by now (by drinking the last of each beer, weeks later) if it were the problem.

Anyway, a thousand head-desks to you all. A facepalm. Two facepalms and a groan.

I've never experienced this CO2 bite everyone is talking about. Sure it tastes better after a couple weeks in the keg/fridge but even right after a force carb session it's pretty good.

I have never had "Green" beer taste medicinal.

I used to ALWAYS try my green beer, just felt like it was more info on my beer.

I am going to go back to the original message and say that I experienced something very similar and discovered that it was residue from sodium precarbonate(PBW-Oxiclean). If you do not rinse both your bottles and your fermentation vessel very, very well you will get a medicinal overpowering flavor similar to a really heavy wheat beer. I find that people who love wheat beers dont mind. It masks almost every other flavor. 6 ounces of hops and you cant tell any are in there. I have since started rinsing thoroughly with a bottle washer and the problem has gone away. I did one experiment with a few lightly rinsed bottles and got the off flavor. Try to super rinse your next batch. I bet it will help.

Time heals all things. The only thing I can't speak to is the co2 as I've always naturally carbonated. But here are a few things I've noticed in my beers:
1. Extract takes longer to condition than an all grain.
2. If my beer is kept below 70 degrees it takes longer to condition.
3. Unless infected ALL beer will condition itself out and lose all off flavors if left long enough.
I know this doesn't allow for "young" drinking, and doesn't address the initial problem. But unless you are using pool water, even the chlorine taste will be gone with enough time

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

3. Unless infected ALL beer will condition itself out and lose all off flavors if left long enough.

Ehhhh, well. Even if you limit "all" to fermentation-based off flavors, I beg to differ. Underpitch and hot fermentation can both create nasty-bad things that might never disappear. Or they might. I find hot alcohol flavors seem to mellow, but "bad fruity" (like underpitched English or US yeast) doesn't always go away.

Telling people to let their beer sit six months mostly just makes the problem go away in that they don't post any more questions about it--at least for six months. By which time they don't care as much and have brewed more beer.

Well said fearwig. And I guess I am speaking more to a single bad batch. My main worry was that he was throwing every batch out after a two week taste test.

Well said fearwig. And I guess I am speaking more to a single bad batch. My main worry was that he was throwing every batch out after a two week taste test. And that if he let one sit it would be easier to figure out if it's ingredients or method

Oh yeah. I drink my good beers, but I drink my bad beers too. As punishment, maybe. Either way, no reason to pour out bad beer. If you keg, bottle it. If you bottle, put the bottles away and find a use for them, cook with them, whatever.

I had an ESB that was way too big some months ago due to a bad efficiency estimate, and I didn't take gravity because I was sloppy and brew day was running late. Underpitched it, and not enough bitterness for all the malt. So nasty. Had the last one last night. Tasted like regrets. Or specifically, like candy you find in a gutter.

I second this. Some of us are really sensitive to carbonic acid, which is what is formed when co2 and h2o interact. With time it will pass. So if it doesn't, obviously, it is another issue.

I am going to go back to the original message and say that I experienced something very similar and discovered that it was residue from sodium precarbonate(PBW-Oxiclean). If you do not rinse both your bottles and your fermentation vessel very, very well you will get a medicinal overpowering flavor similar to a really heavy wheat beer. I find that people who love wheat beers dont mind. It masks almost every other flavor. 6 ounces of hops and you cant tell any are in there. I have since started rinsing thoroughly with a bottle washer and the problem has gone away. I did one experiment with a few lightly rinsed bottles and got the off flavor. Try to super rinse your next batch. I bet it will help.

I may try this I was using oxyclean to begin with and swithed to pbw. Could this simple detail be the main issue.

Latest posts

Back