All Grain yippee!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRTBREW

Reaction score
:rockin:Hey guys, I did my first all-grain full boil on my apartment countertop on Sunday night. I made Edwort's haus ale. Everything went great, except when my mash was just finishing up my power went out. :mad: The power was down for about an hour and a half. When it came back on I quickly heated my sparge water and continued with zero issues. I couldn't get a great boil without the lid partially on. I'll let this one finish up and try it to see if there are any off flavors from the not so strong boil. If I get any off flavors I'll build a heat stick to boil better. It's currently sitting in a water bath bubbling away at 65 degrees. Thank you Edwort for the great simple recipe. For anyone wanting to try all-grain, DO IT. It's not that hard.

Well I do have a patio on the first floor. But I don't think fire code, or my apartment manager will let me use a propane burner. I may just have to build a heat stick. Don't worry I have plenty of electrical experience. Although it will make me a bit anxious using something like that.

Flyguy had a good thread on improved kitchen brewing.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=53683

I have tried the reflextix wrap with tin-foil cone on the bottom with some inner coils (wrapped up tin-foil) to keep the refletix from getting too hot.

It worked for me on my first AG semmi boil, but that I mean it works OK at 6 to 6.5 gal with an al-pot, but I messed up on my volumes and attempted to boil 7.3 gal in a 7.5 pot so I never got a strong boil, but it was moving. I have a pretty cheap low powered electric stove so it is possible without the heat stick.

The other answer is just don't tell you manager, and hopefully you don't have old retired people living above and below you like I do.

or do a split boil..two identical pots, split everything equally, and combine post-boil/post-chilling.

I have my 8 gallon brewpot double wrapped in the reflective bubble wrap. With 6.5 gallons the highest temp it will reach is 211.5. It is boiling at this point. I don't think it will go higher because I live in the ozark mountains in southern MO. I don't know our specific altitude, but it's quite a bit above sea level.

One thing I am worrying about is the pan under the electric burner is now off-color like a blowtorch has been on it for awhile. I know I can always buy a new one but I don't want to damage the stove with the high temps trapped under my huge pot. Which brings me back to the heatstick. I should be able to use one with my stove and take a lot of stress off my stovetop.

Any other suggestions?

Latest posts

Back