All grain yeast starter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kojinakata

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I don't have a hydrometer so it is impossible for me to measure the gravity of the wort that I am making as a yeast starter. And also I don't want to use DME but instead of it, I have 2-row Pale malt available. Does anyone know the ratio of kilograms of grain to the liter of wort when making a yeast starter? I read that the recommended gravity is 1.040.

kojinakata said:
Hi guys,
I don't have a hydrometer so it is impossible for me to measure the gravity of the wort that I am making as a yeast starter. And also I don't want to use DME but instead of it, I have 2-row Pale malt available. Does anyone know the ratio of kilograms of grain to the liter of wort when making a yeast starter? I read that the recommended gravity is 1.040.

What's your efficiency? Can't formulate a recipe for an ag starter unless we know your efficiency.

ShinyBuddha said:
Just curious, why don't you want to use DME? It'd save you quite a bit of time.

This piggy backs on my question - is it okay to use dme as a yeast starter if you're going all grain? (Don't mean to hijack, just an additional question)

You're just looking for a fermentable wort, I'd mash around 150.

This piggy backs on my question - is it okay to use dme as a yeast starter if you're going all grain? (Don't mean to hijack, just an additional question)

Of course, most folks do unless they happen to have some sterile wort sitting around. I'm assuming the OP is out of/doesn't have easy access to DME. Or maybe doesn't want to stock some just for starter purposes.

Latest posts

Back