All grain volume question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeljcarr

Reaction score
I did my first all grain brew yesterday. For the first time I thought it would be best to try one of the Northern Brew, brew in a bag kits. I started with the 5.5 gals that the directions said I should. After I mashed it said I would have about 4 gals of wort but I had around 4.75 gals. After the end of the boil I should have had 3 gals but I ended up with slightly less than 4 gals. OG was supposed to be 1.066 and I had about 1.068 (conversion from brix reading of 16.7). Any ideas about what I did wrong and what impact this might have on the beer?

Looks ok to me. It seems you just got better efficiency than whoever wrote the original recipe. Otherwise you would of had a lower OG with the larger volume. Don't worry nothing wrong you just made more beer than they did. Now the hard part. Waiting.... Start planning/brewing your next batch. Once your pipeline is full the wait isn't as noticeable.

Different crushes and different grains used on different systems absorb varying amounts of water. Since your amount of wort pre and post boil were both high perhaps your system/pot/kettle loses less water through boil off than others. That you still ended up with a 1.068 with about 4 gallons is a good thing. A .002 give or take is WNL of variances... and not a big deal. Kits are rarely spot on, fortunately yours erred on the plus side. Sounds like you did a good job. Should be a good tasting beer...

Like you, I did my first AG batch yesterday (with a mash/lauter tun).

I fretted about efficiency, but my local AG mentor said that if I end up with the volume of wort that I was supposed to have at the target OG, life is good. I did (actually a little higher) and I'm happy. Looking forward to doing it again.

Congrats.:mug:

Back