all-grain to extract conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2nd Street Brewery

Reaction score
Does anyone have a simple (read idiot proof) method/formula for converting an all-grain recipe to an extract one? I was given a book of recipes and they are all all-grain. I want to try a few of them but I haven't been able to find a way to do it. I checked out Palmers site but didn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks

post the all grain recipe you want to convert and we could help ya out :)

are you going to do any grain at all? like a steepe or just straight extract...

Thanks for the offer, I plan on doing an extract with steeping any specialty grains. I'll find one that I really want and put it out if I can't figure out what I need on my own.

t1master said:
post the all grain recipe you want to convert and we could help ya out :)

are you going to do any grain at all? like a steepe or just straight extract...

Since you offered ;) here is an all grain scotch ale recipe that I'd like to convert to partial mash:

8 Lbs British Pale Ale Malt 2-row
1 Lb Carapils Malt
1 Lb Peated Malt
1 Lb Biscuit Malt
1 Lb 90L Crystal Malt
3 Oz Roasted Barley
3 Oz Kent Goldings 5% alpha acid leaf hops
2 Oz Fuggles 4% alpha acid plug hops
3 teaspoons Irish moss
10 Gallons artesian drinking water
#1728 WYeast Scottish ale liquid yeast
1 2/3 cup gold dry malt for bottling

I guess you would just find the correct substiture for the brit pale ale malt, and steep the rest of the grains? Can it really be that simple :confused:

El Pistolero said:
Since you offered ;) here is an all grain scotch ale recipe that I'd like to convert to partial mash...

Talk about timing! I've been looking to convert my extract with partial grain Scotch Ale to All Grain! I may just steal this recipe and substitute WL yeast; it looks good! I'm curious about why they would specify artesian water.

As for converting this, I would think you would just need to substitute the 8 lbs. of 2-row with either 6.5 lbs. LME or 5.5 lbs. DME. The rest of the grains, steep. Am I wrong here, anyone? :confused:

guess you would just find the correct substiture for the brit pale ale malt, and steep the rest of the grains? Can it really be that simple

yes you got it man! it really is that simple...

six pounds of dme should substitute well enough for the eight pounds of pale malt, i would use light or amber dried malt extract and maybe a pound of dark malt extract... depending on how much grain you want to use...

from the amount of grain, it looks to be a wee heavy scottish ale?

i don't know where you will find peated malt.. this is going to be the most dominate flavor from the specialty grans, if yer hbs doesn't have it, you might want to try smoking some of your specialty grains over a mesquite fire for a bit to recreate teh smokey flavor from the peat or buy that liquid smoke, but be gentle with it :) it's easy to smoke the grain, before it's crushed on a cookie sheet on a coleman grill...

Yeah, a wee heavy is what I'm going for.

Don't really need an excuse to fire up the smoker, but I'll sure take one! Guess I'm heading to the LHBS and the meat market tomorrow! God I love this hobby!

El Pistolero said:
Yeah, a wee heavy is what I'm going for.

Don't really need an excuse to fire up the smoker, but I'll sure take one! Guess I'm heading to the LHBS and the meat market tomorrow! God I love this hobby!

Yessir! Fire up that smoker! :D I've done Scotch Ale using peated malt before. Most HBSs carry them. I've also added about a tablespoon of liquid smoke to a five gallon batch. The combo of the two really delivers the smokey taste.

But this next batch, I'm going to fire up my smoker and smoke two pounds of the 2-row for a couple of hours. I've read that mesquite really works well for this style ale and that's what I plan to smoke with. Start with grains, finish with meat! :D

Rhoobarb said:
Talk about timing! I've been looking to convert my extract with partial grain Scotch Ale to All Grain! I may just steal this recipe and substitute WL yeast; it looks good! I'm curious about why they would specify artesian water.

Just in the interest of fairness I've got to say that andre_the_giant turned me on to this recipe, and he got it from here

Yep, I'm running a little low on pulled pork, and briskit too, so I might just as well smoke some grains, and maybe a few chickens. Oh yeah, and bottle my first batch, and brew my second. No doubt at all that I'm gonna get around to all that this weekend :)

El Pistolero said:
Just in the interest of fairness I've got to say that andre_the_giant turned me on to this recipe, and he got it from here

Ah, the Cat's Meow. I hadn't gone poking around there yet for this recipe. You (and Andre) probably saved me the time. Thanks!

So, at an SG of 1.058, it is more of a scotch ale and not a wee heavy, which typically range from ~1.070-1.090. Still, it's pretty damn close to what I'm looking for - my '100 Shilling' extract recipe usually comes in at ~1.074. I'll just have to tweak this recipe! :D

I am doing a McEwans clone next and had to order peated malt from Northernbrewer, they got it out next biz day.
MPW

Rhoobarb said:
Ah, the Cat's Meow. I hadn't gone poking around there yet for this recipe. You (and Andre) probably saved me the time. Thanks!

So, at an SG of 1.058, it is more of a scotch ale and not a wee heavy, which typically range from ~1.070-1.090. Still, it's pretty damn close to what I'm looking for - my '100 Shilling' extract recipe usually comes in at ~1.074. I'll just have to tweak this recipe! :D

Here's a wee heavy recipe from another board. This is probably a little closer to what you're after. Here's another one . It's an OK board if you can stand all the green.

El Pistolero said:
Here's a wee heavy recipe from another board. This is probably a little closer to what you're after. Here's another one . It's an OK board if you can stand all the green.

Nice link! I printed out the recipe linked for the Traquair House clone. I think I'm gonna use that one as a base for my own!

Thanks!

Here's a chart I found that I use:

Pounds of Pounds of Extract
Grain Liquid Dry

1.0 0.75 0.6

1.5 1.13 0.9

2.0 1.50 1.2

2.5 1.88 1.5

3.0 2.25 1.8

3.5 2.63 2.1

4.0 3.00 2.4

4.5 3.38 2.7

5.0 3.75 3.0

5.5 4.13 3.3

6.0 4.50 3.6

6.5 4.88 3.9

7.0 5.25 4.2

7.5 5.63 4.5

8.0 6.00 4.8

8.5 6.38 5.1

9.0 6.75 5.4

9.5 7.13 5.7

10.0 7.50 6.0

:D :D

It compressed somewhat, but if you do a cut and paste into WORD you can straighten it out.

Back