All-Grain Recipe for a Black IPA using Chinook hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhubbarducsd

Reaction score
Hello,
This years crop of Chinook hops are ready to be gathered and I thought I'd mix it up a bit and make a Black IPA.
Does anyone have a good recipe for a Black IPA using Chinook hops?
thank you for any help,
Dustin

I really like Chinook hops. If you also like what they bring in a beer, then you could do a West Coast-ish approach: a small amount at 60' ( maybe 20-30 IBU ), add some at 10-20 minutes, do a big whirlpool and dry hop ( 5-10 gr/l hops for 2-3 days max. ). 50-70 IBU in total, 6-6.5% ABV. If you are using wet hops, you will have to use more ( compared to pellets ).

As for the grain bill: any base malt will do with an addition of either Carafa III Special, Chocolate Wheat or Rye, or a combination of these. If you can get a hold of black malt liquid extract ( adds colour without the roastiness ), you can use that to cut some of the roast malt. Mash at 149F, make sure your mash and boil pH are in range. As for yeast: dry - US-05, S-04, Nottingham, BRY-97, liquid - any Chico strain, english yeast strains also work well, etc.

Midnight Wheat is a good choice. Wheat has no husk, which means the amount of roast and ashiness, if you will, will be much lower than traditional roasted barley malts. It makes for a good malt to use where a minimal roastiness level is desired. I've used Weyermann Chocolate Wheat/Spelt/Rye and Roasted Rye and Roasted Wheat from Thomas Fawcett and I love all of these. They go well in anything dark or brown. I personally use these in Stouts, where I can go higher with the amounts, resulting in a darker colour and a bit more complexity.

Carara III Special ( de-husked - as their normal Carafa malts are not de-husked ) is only partially de-husked- if I recall this properly - and it is a good choice as well. If I were to choose, I would probably go with the roasted wheat.

I highly suggest the grain bill I use. Its the Wookey Jack clone and I've made it three times. Once with Falconer's Flight/CTZ, once all Falconer's, & once Amarillo/Citra. Every batch is fantastic and surprisingly drinkable for the heft of the beer. The midnight wheat is perfect for adding just enough roast to know its there but not make the beer feel heavy or clash with the hops. I'm sure a version with Chinook (and maybe a late addition of a citrusy hop for balance) would taste amazing. Here's the grain bill I always use for a 5.5 gallon batch at 72% efficiency:

13.50 lb Pale Malt 81%
1.66 lb Rye Malt 10%
0.50 lb Cara-Rye 3.0 %
0.50 lb Carafa III 3.0 %
0.50 lb Wheat 3.0 %

I highly suggest the grain bill I use. Its the Wookey Jack clone and I've made it three times. Once with Falconer's Flight/CTZ, once all Falconer's, & once Amarillo/Citra. Every batch is fantastic and surprisingly drinkable for the heft of the beer. The midnight wheat is perfect for adding just enough roast to know its there but not make the beer feel heavy or clash with the hops. I'm sure a version with Chinook (and maybe a late addition of a citrusy hop for balance) would taste amazing. Here's the grain bill I always use for a 5.5 gallon batch at 72% efficiency:

13.50 lb Pale Malt 81%
1.66 lb Rye Malt 10%
0.50 lb Cara-Rye 3.0 %
0.50 lb Carafa III 3.0 %
0.50 lb Wheat 3.0 %

troglodytes, Do you cold steep the Carafa and Midnight Wheat and add later in the boil?

I'm on board with dhubbarducsd in using Chinook, 'cept I have some that I've had a while and want to get rid of. I'll try thehaze's schedule but I'll up it a bit for my potentially old hops. (I do store them vacuusealed in a 0*F freezer -they should be still pretty good.

troglodytes, Do you cold steep the Carafa and Midnight Wheat and add later in the boil?

I'm on board with dhubbarducsd in using Chinook, 'cept I have some that I've had a while and want to get rid of. I'll try thehaze's schedule but I'll up it a bit for my potentially old hops. (I do store them vacuusealed in a 0*F freezer -they should be still pretty good.

Nope, I mash every thing together. The last time I made it (Feb) as was going to add the dark grains late as a test, but the the retailer mixed all the grains in the order together so I never got the chance. It may be worth it to try it out, but the roastiness of this brew is not over the top and works really well with the hops. Also, it get my mash pH to be exactly where I want it with my water profile. If you start from RO water, you may want to add the dark grains later so you don't mash with too low a pH.

I'm planning a black IPA and am wondering what water additions people are using? On the one hand CaCl will bring out the malt flavours of the grain bill but on the other hand hand big IPAs really rely on large SO42- additions for the hop flavour. Thoughts?

I brewed this back in September and I believe it turned out really great. The beer pours super dark and the head is really nice - nicer than I've been able to do in a while. I believe the malt comes through very solidly and my Chinook turned out to be really good still as it imparts as much bitterness as I was expecting. I've been getting better and better at brewing beers that meet my expectations and this one was so far the best beer I've ever brewed that met or exceeded expectations. So I think I'm finally getting to where I want to be as a home brewer.

71% efficiency in my 5.5 gal batch
12.00 lb Pale Malt 80%
1.50 lb Rye Malt 10%
0.50 lb Cara-Rye 3.3 %
0.50 lb Carafa III 3.3 %
0.50 lb Midnight Wheat 3.3 %

RO Water
150 ppm Sulfate
50 ppm Chloride
I mashed all grains for 60 min at 152*F. My pH was a little high at 5.5 because I was still getting used to Beersmith's new water profile tool.

1.0 oz Chinook 12% AA at 60 min
3.0 oz Chinook 12% AA at 5 min
2.0 oz Chinook 12% AA whirlpool at 165* (undershot my desired temp of 180*F)
3.0 oz Chinook 12% AA dry hop for 3 days

Oh, I used Safale US-05 on this. I'm usually a fan of White Labs but after talking to a fellow brewer, I decided to try it and I am super pleased with it. Not saying it will be my house yeast but for sure I'll not think twice about using it again, in the right beer.

Can't speak to the affect of the S04/Cl ratio or the amounts. I do know that I am happy with the malt/hop balance. I guess if I had to say, the malt is more pronounced than the hop. But then, I'm no Cicerone.

Back