All Grain newbie has a question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonaken

Reaction score
I have been doing extract beer so far and am ready to graduate to brewing all grain. However, I wanna do a few 1 gallon batches first.

Can I scale down a 5 gallon recipe to a 1 gallon batch? If so how easy is it?

I have been doing extract beer so far and am ready to graduate to brewing all grain. However, I wanna do a few 1 gallon batches first.

Take all of your ingredients and divide them by 1/5th. That's pretty much it.

Not to get all Suzy-schoolteacher here, but if you are going to use the above referenced method, do yourself a favor and either divide the amounts by five or multiply by 1/5.

For one gallon batches, you are better off utilizing the mash ratios (percentages of each grain to the whole) or just getting the Brooklyn Brew Shop book, making three of their beers, then dick around with the recipes.

Yes you can scale the recipes down. I recommend beersmith. Its has a feature that will scale it for you. Other than that, just make sure your grain bill and hop chart fill out the same

Well. Most recipes are made with the setup the person who wrote the recepie had. So if you have another setup which loses more or less to trub and etc you should scale your reciepe towards how much wort goes into the boil kettle, don't look at batch size. Look at how much is boiled. Some people drain the whole kettle into the fermentor, some does not..etc same with trub in fermentor.

Back