All grain mash, partial boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielBrews

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything addressing my specific question. But here is what I'm wondering. I have a 10 gallon mash tun and a 5 gallon boil kettle. I would like to do all grain but not ready to invest in a bigger boil kettle. (I've seen the idea of splitting a batch between two kettles). What I am considering is mashing all my grains and then putting half in the boil kettle and half in the fermenter. Then I would add my hops and other ingredients to the boil and then mix it with the wort in the fermenter. Cool and pitch the yeast. Is this plausible? Is there any problems with not boiling all the wort?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, many. Boiling the wort sterilizes it, isomerizes the hops, and coagulates unwanted proteins...just a few off the top of my head.

Sterilization and coagulation seems to make sense. The hop part doesn't. Since the hops would isomerize in the wort that I did boil. So it sounds like I need to at least boil all the wort after it mashes. Guess it's back to the drawing board.

Thank you!

Have your heard about DMS? You'll probably learn about it if you don't boil all the wort. Do you know about lactobacillus? You're likely to learn about that too without boiling all the wort. Yes there are a few reasons to boil all of it.

How about trying half size batches? You can use the mash tun you have for conventional mashing or go to Brew In A Bag (BIAB) and do it all in your boiling pot.

If you're really adventurous, you could do a split-combo batch! Mash the entire amount, collect half of the wort for the first boil, and boil everything as half a recipe. Once you have that in the fermenter, pitch your yeast and continue on to the second half for boiling! It'll take a bit longer, but it'll get the job done.

I'll probably just stick to half extract until I can invest in a bigger kettle, I'm not buying a second kettle of the same size when for a little more I can just get the one I really need. At least I learned a bit more about boiling the wort, I appreciate the comments.

Back