All Grain Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omar Bacha

Reaction score
it seems like since i went to all grain my beers ferment like crazy, why do i get better fermentation all grain veres extract brewing?

I believe that the grain provides many yeast nutirents that are missing in a DME or LME.

Fermentability of extract varies between producers. Other than that, it may just be that your technique is improving and you're not directly attributing it to that.

Welcome aboard! :mug:

My AG beers (2 to date) have had a more consistent final gravity. Extracts rarely got below 1.016 or 1.018 for me. My last 2 'real' batches have both finished at 1.011.

I can't say I have done anything else very different except for the goings on pre-boil. I say AG = easier ferment.

Higher mash temp, higher FG. Lower mash temp, lower FG. I suspect that extracts are produced from mashes somewhere in the middle for widespread acceptance.

If you're new to AG and haven't had a mash temp mishap yet, you will eventually.

My AG beers (2 to date) have had a more consistent final gravity. Extracts rarely got below 1.016 or 1.018 for me. My last 2 'real' batches have both finished at 1.011.

I can't say I have done anything else very different except for the goings on pre-boil. I say AG = easier ferment.

What brand of extract were you using? Some brands are notorious for having higher percentages of unfermentables, which leads to the higher FG that you were seeing.

Higher mash temp, higher FG. Lower mash temp, lower FG. I suspect that extracts are produced from mashes somewhere in the middle for widespread acceptance.

If you're new to AG and haven't had a mash temp mishap yet, you will eventually.

Heat sticks rock. :rockin: When I had mine I opened a beer for the other hand that wasn't holding the heatstick. :tank:

- Eric

What brand of extract were you using? Some brands are notorious for having higher percentages of unfermentables, which leads to the higher FG that you were seeing.

Never really thought about that.

I used a combination... Brewers Best kits, morebeer, AHS, Midwest, LHBS, dry, liquid. All seemed to fare about the same.

Latest posts

Back