All Grain Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonzailopper

Reaction score
I'm slowly acquiring equipment for when I cut the cord and go all grain. I was just given a roll of mesh, or screen that is used for windows, and screen doors I guess. I was wondering whether or not this could be used for the filter or false bottom of a mash tun. I don't really know HOW I would go about it, but I'm still a ways off from doing this. Any suggestions on using the screen? I asked the guy I got it from if it was stainless steel. He said no but it had a coating on it that covered the wire. I really don't know anything about screens so this may be a ridiculous question. Thanks in advance for any feed back.

John

No, it won't work. its a bit too fine and not durable enough. its probably galvanized or something, which is going to quickly rust/oxidize when soaked in the acidic mash.

No, it won't work. its a bit too fine and not durable enough. its probably galvanized or something, which is going to quickly rust/oxidize when soaked in the acidic mash.

OK, yeah, I didn't think about the fineness of the screen. looking at it now I can see how that would be a problem. Thanks for the quick response. I'll keep scrounging... :D

Yeah - just any old screen has to be food safe, and prob stainless.
I was searching and found this place, http://www.twpinc.com/
they have mesh and screen in all dimensions in stainless steel! might be perfect but I dont know what the perfect size would be.

You'd be better off with a braid (SS braid, like for plumbing), or a copper manifold. Even a cPVC manifold would work. If you're handy, you could easily make something from hardware store items. The screen wouldn't work because it would collapse under the weight of the grain, as well as probably rust.

Edit- wanna hear something funny? My husband was going up to bed, so peered over my shoulder when he said goodnight. He was laughing about his wife talking about manifolds and hardware store items. I think most women are probably doing "facebook" or something, and he thought it was hysterically funny that I was typing away about good ways to make a manifold for a MLT.

Yooper is correct, and those are the proven methods to try first.
That place I linked actually has hard ss metal screen that is intended for filtering, but if its flimsy at all you will have to affix it to something like some kind of ready made boil rack from a lobster pot or something.
I'm constantly looking out for solutions in case my ss braid collapses. Its on its third batch and still holding up fine.

Thank you all for the responses. This is why I love this site. :rockin: I am going to look into the cPVC. I'm not that handy, but I can usually make anything work if I want it enough. Still need to refine my process before I make the switch, but either way.. having a blast. Thanks again!

John

A further question about using screen, to clarify: Are you saying that it wouldn't work unsupported as a false bottom? What about if it were tensioned around and attached to a frame / tightly fitted manifold? Presuming it was of a material that would be mash-safe with appropriatly sized holes and had supports across the middle, that is (a lot of if's, I know).

It might be overkill to put screen around a manifold to better simulate a false bottom, though.

Thank you all for the responses. This is why I love this site. :rockin: I am going to look into the cPVC. I'm not that handy, but I can usually make anything work if I want it enough. Still need to refine my process before I make the switch, but either way.. having a blast. Thanks again!

John

Take a look at the Cheap'n'Easy method....

www.dennybrew.com

Back