All Grain and BIAB - more carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSteele

Reaction score
I recently started brewing BIAB, and have 4 brews under my belt. It seems that the beer gets noticeably more carbonated using the 4 oz. of corn sugar per 5 gal batch.

I don't think it's infection because this just started with BIAB after doing extract for a year. I also don't think it's continuing fermentation because I'm pretty good about monitoring FG before bottling. Has anyone else experienced this, or have an idea what's going on? thanks!

I can't think of any reason that BIAB would lead to higher carbonation. If the fermentation really is complete, then I wonder if you are allowing for retained CO2 when you calculate the amount of priming sugar. Most of the calculators I've seen have the fermentation temp as an input.

Yea, nothing in the process should change the carbonation levels. Do you carefully measure the final volume of beer before adding priming sugar? If something about your BIAB process causes you to end up with less beer than your previous extract process, that could be the issue.

Back