All Extract Weizenbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankdontsurf

Reaction score
I've had my equipment so long, it's in storage. Haven't even done a single brew. I would like to brew a Weizenbock and a Hefeweizen. I want to end up with 3 gallons total since my kettle is 16qt, my fermenters are 5.5gal.

Thank you :mug:

I have made some extract hefeweizen batches that turned out great. Its all about the yeast and temperature control to get the flavor profile you want.

I have used both the weihenstephan liquid yeast, and the Dry Danstar Munich. Good results with both, but the temp controlled weihenstephan was really great and near exact clone of the hefe.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/wyeast-weihenstephan-wheat
http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/munich-wheat-beer-yeast

The brew itself is super easy. Here is the instruction sheet from NB. I made this as one of my early 5 gallon batches, and it was very good.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/BavarianHefeweizen.pdf

Good luck!

If I were you I'd make 4 gallons )or even 5 if you want to use a blowoff tube) - more beer! And just dilute the 16qt wort with boiled and cooled water in the fermenter until you get your desired volume.

I just cracked a bottle of extract only hef with weihenstephan liquid yeast, but it's not carbed properly... and this is the second growler I've tested. They say to drink it young, so it's only been 2-2.5 weeks, but that should be enough time, no? This is the first beer I've made which hasn't carbed so am wondering what I did wrong. There were some bubbles but they were short lived and within 20 seconds it was flat, priming sugar level definitely wasn't a factor. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Man, sorry to hear that. I know its disappointing.

At what temp have the bottles been sitting? Has it been in the bottles for 2.5 weeks or is that total time?

In the bottle for 2.5 weeks, at room temp. The first one I tried at 2 weeks, which had even worse carb. I'm hoping I'll just leave the rest for 4 weeks like I do for all my other brews. They say to drink young, what should I be looking out for as an 'off flavor' at 4 weeks?

Its winter, is your house on the cool side? Hopefully, time will help the carb issue.

Typical flavors should be banana and clove. The main off flavor I have heard of with the yeast is bubble gum, and though I haven't experienced it, I thin it is from fermenting at too high a temp.

Hopefully that's what it is - too cold! It didn't taste bad... but it's hard to tell when it's flat. I had it in an ice bath (63ish) during primary fermentation. I'll update in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed!

(Lol that last part was autocorrected to "Free Nigeria!)

If I were you I'd make 4 gallons )or even 5 if you want to use a blowoff tube) - more beer! And just dilute the 16qt wort with boiled and cooled water in the fermenter until you get your desired volume.

I just cracked a bottle of extract only hef with weihenstephan liquid yeast, but it's not carbed properly... and this is the second growler I've tested. They say to drink it young, so it's only been 2-2.5 weeks, but that should be enough time, no? This is the first beer I've made which hasn't carbed so am wondering what I did wrong. There were some bubbles but they were short lived and within 20 seconds it was flat, priming sugar level definitely wasn't a factor. Any advice would be much appreciated!

I may follow your advice, I have a another 10qt pot I can use at the same time. Since I'm going to do one type of extract it should be easy. But if I only had one kettle, I would put 4-5 gallons worth of extract into 3 gallons of water, then boil and cool to pitch temp some plain water and add it to the fermenter.. Right? :fro:

Back